Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Second logical drive not known during 5.0.7 install on DL380 6i 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JockFrog

IS-IT--Management
Nov 5, 2002
FR
Hi all,

I have had on several occasions this problem of the second logical drive not being recognised during the SCO 5.0.7 installation.
I thought at first it was because the disks (mirrors)were not fully initialised then I thought maybe the disks needed erased with the HP utility.
I used 2x36.4Go for each logical drive.
Can anyone help me I'm installing the problem server today?

Assumptions:
You have implemented hardware RAID (1 or 5) (RAID5 is S-L-O-W!) and established 2(or more) logical drives within that array.

Install the 5.0.7 using the appropriate BTLD for your controller.
After 5.0.7 is installed, install the required modules from the Compaq EFS.
Run the Compaq version of the "mkdev" utility (like mkdev ciss).

Check the documentation files which come with the EFS. They have decent step-by-step instructions.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Hi Motoslide,

I have RAID 1 set for the OS and a RAID 1 set for DATA and my environments PROD etc.
I can see that logical drives exist on the splash screen when the server boots.
I don't understand why one machine does this.
I have the latest bootloader 5.64a for the DL380 server.
I have an identical server which was bought at the same time as this problem one with which I had no problem at all.
So you recommend that I install SCO.
I load the HP EFS image and there is a utilitaire which will let me be able to see the other logical drive and add it?

You can find newer EFS on Compaq's website. It looks like the current release is 5.70.

Here's an SCO document regarding an installation overview. Section 16 discusses configuration of additional filesystems:

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

Hi motoslide,

I hope your day is going as well as mine.
After following the procedure I had just a hiccup with the device name when I wanted to modify the mount configuration file.
This was in fact was /dev followed by /filesystem_name.
I can't really thank you how I would like to but a star for you help and active + rapid participation is at minimum due.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back