Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Second Hard Drive Has "Access Denied" Folders 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksyrium

Technical User
Dec 14, 2002
CA
I have a second drive which I use for data storage. I recently formated my main HD and installed XP Pro (I was running XP Home prior). Now, I can see the second drive but some folders are "access denied" while others I can open. Any ideas to get my data back.

Proberly it's a security problem. Try to use the properties at the folders and look for Permissions . Add permissions for your account.

Thats because you increased the security on your prior instalation, you must have ntfs on your second drive.Go to the properties of this disk and go to the security tab.
Then take ownership. Then you will have access.

Linney

Thank you for your help. That was it exactly.

AnyOne nows how to prevent Take Ownership? To secure a HD when moving to another system?

Greetz

Encrypt it. Use XP's Help & Support to look for EFS. Be careful - you may never get the data back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back