Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Second Exchange Server Best Practices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NerdyOne

MIS
Oct 16, 2001
US
Currently we have on Exchange 2003 server in our domain. We want to retire that old server and fire up the new one. What would be the best, in general, way to do that?

We don't want to have to reconfigure all the Outlook clients to point to the new server.

And, if at all possible, can the old server/Exchange run while we're configuring the new one?

Thank you, in advance, for any help/suggestions you offer!

Search this forum as we've covered it hundreds of times.
You can carry on as usual at all times.

Yes you can add a new exchange server to your network, have both running while you move the mailboxes across to the new server.

you shouldn't have to re-point the desktops

Thank you for your responses. I have searched through this Forum, and found a couple of helpful ones. My main concern, however, is about pointing the clients to the new server.

If the clients are looking for the Exchange server named "Exchange1", how will they know to look for mail on "Exchange2"?

The Titanic was built by engineers. The Ark was built by an amateur.

THe clients, when started up, will conenct to the original exchange server. The exchange server will then repoint the clients to the current server/store where their mailbox resides.

It all happens automagically. No need to worry, we've all done it lots and lots and lots of times.

Chris
IT Manager
Houston, Texas

As long as the two Exchange servers are both running when the client first starts Outlook after being rehomed to the new box, all will be well.

Once everyone has been moved to the new server AND they've all started Outlook at least once, you can get shot of the old one (assuming you've done the PFs, bridgehead...etc)

Very good. I believe, after reading everyone's response, that it should go pretty good. The last thing I want to do is have to visit every client and type in the new server name.

Thanks, again, for all your help!

The Titanic was built by engineers. The Ark was built by an amateur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back