Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Second DNS server showing up with DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

xevious2k

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
Greetings All,

I have a small problem and am a little lost. We have 4 W2K servers 2 file servers, 1 mail and a VPN server. One of the file servers is the big kahuna of the group and takes care of DNS and DHCP. My DHCP scope is setup to have only 1 DNS server, (200.200.200.6), but when the clients get their DHCP config, our ISP DNS server is listed in addition to the one above and I can't find out where it's coming from. The DNS server is setup with forwarders to the ISP's DNS servers. Here is what the ipconfig shows...

H:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : client2234
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : MYDOM.mydomain.com
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : MYDOM.mydomain.com
mydomain.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-56-1A-4A-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 200.200.200.106
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 200.200.200.5
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 200.200.200.6
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 200.200.200.6
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, May 19, 2004 10:41:32 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, May 27, 2004 10:41:32 AM

H:\>

Can anyone tell me where the DHCP client is getting the 205.247.216.2 address from so I can get rid of it?

Thanks,
x2k

Is the ISP DNS server listed in your DHCP scope options? If it is, then clients will have this when they obtain an IP address. The ISP DNS server should only be listed under the Forwarders tab and not in the scope options.

Edward

Only 1 server is listed in the DHCP scope, (200.200.200.6)

sorry, it did say in your first post that you had only one DNS server in your scope. i blasted through it and did not catch that, sorry. that is rather odd, i have not heard of this happening before. i can't think of anything else off hand that would/could be causing this. i tried doing a google search and nothing is comin up with regards to this. i'll see what else i can turn up and if you resolve it in the meantime please post back here as i am sure this will happen to someone else.

Edward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back