Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SECC 4.2 install help

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBGeist

Programmer
Aug 5, 2003
US
Please help!!! We can't get our SECC 4.2 to install on the server. It keeps getting stuck at Phase 6 where the Sybase is installing.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Need help ASAP!!!

Did your PVIcheck (before install) show you any warnings? I have found that if install fails at the stage, you usually have to reformat and reload the O/S before successful install (other stages more forgiving). Make sure that the ngendist, ngensys, and ngendesign accounts are not already on the machine before intall, and that there is not a version or a hint of Sybase loaded (including in registry -- that's why reformat sometimes only cure).

Also make sure that you have the correct install-time pep installed. You should be using SU12 or 13 as the install-time pep. If you don't have the pep in before install it could fail here. Read the book for removing Sybase and product software and start over with the pep in if not already installed!!!

TWM

RE-INSTALL OF SYBASE

Post the last few lines of D:\sysops.log and I should be able to point you from there.

Note that the most common reason for failures during re-install are
1. Files remaining in D:\Sybase
2. Database Files remaining in F:\Nortel\Database and additional drives
3. Your environment variable PATH is too long. Attempts to reinstall Sybase often result in multiple entries of D:\Sybase\ASE-12_5\dll etc. You should manually delete all entries before attempting a re-install.

Check that all 4 of the Sybase services are not installed before beginning the install.

Check that registry key [KHEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nortel-Sybase] has been deleted.

LBGeist

I would suggest to reformat and install if from scratch, and as my symposium trainer allways said... READ the manual carefully and istall it exactly as it is wroten.

what do you mean stuck? the last one I did took 6 hours even though the note said it may take 3 hours. is yours erroring out or maybe just looks stuck?

More than likely it is erroring out, like the one I am working on now. Failure to create sql. folder, or something like that. The Symp. intall goes great, and quick. The server peps installed directly after symp. install, then starting the db install. after 1st db install reboot, somewhere between steps 5 and 6, the error populates.
There are few things server related I can change, but they do not seem too critcal for this point of the installation. My thoughts are the hot fixes that are installed on the server, thinking of removing them, and trying to install from scratch.

Install just the win2000server with no hotfixes. Don't connect it to the internet. The hotfixes can be added later.
When u had the error msg after a few installations of the sybase.. it wont install.
The fastest and easiest way is to install the whole system from scratch.
Folow the install manual carefully. Nortel wrote it quite nice. ;)

The best way that I have to re-install Symp. without starting from scratch is to remove all Sybase componets from the registry.
I have followed the install instructions, as so has my vendor, I just think it is like you mentioned a hot fix issue.

I ran into the very same symptoms once when I failed to read the most current DTR and installed an older version of the the install-time PEP (11). The DTR that I should have been reading at the time instructed me to download and install version 12 of the install-time PEP. It worked like a charm and completed perfectly, but I first had to go thru quite a few hoops to get the Sybase remnants removed from the registry. I agree that it's quicker in the end run to just reinstall windows 2000 and start afresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back