Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SEB Remote Monitoring

Abcdefg14

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2024
Help!

I recently acquired a client who needs Avaya/Nortel telephone system maintenance support. I have technicians who can perform basic troubleshooting, moves/adds, etc. but one requirement is to remotely monitor the system for alarms via SEB II modem.

My issue is, I don’t know how to go about doing this as the previous support vendor likely had software and programmer support which I don’t have in-house.

Can anyone assist me in figuring out what I need to do to be able to remotely monitor the system? Do I need to purchase software? I would be incredibly grateful.

The chances are that the modem will need to be defaulted to allow you to access it with default passwords etc.

At your end, you will need a number of items.
A telephone line.
A USB to serial port adapter.
A 56k external modem
Software such as Hyper Terminal, Procomm Plus, ZOC. Tera Term and many others that were available etc.

You might have to acquire another external SEB modem on site

Thank you! Very much appreciated.

Is this something that a non-expert could accomplish or would you consider this something that’s specialized? I’m trying to determine whether it makes sense to learn on the fly and do it myself or try to find a company that can do it for me.

The answer is if you are OK with computers?

Personally, I'd take a different approach.
Get hold of an old computer, desktop or laptop that has a serial port and Windows installed.
Use a USB to serial port cable adapter if possible.

Install any good remote access tool such as TeamViewer or Anydesk etc.

Make the computer accessible to the Internet and install a good communication access tool such as ZOC or Procomm Plus. I have these programs if you need them.

Move the existing serial cable from the SEB modem and put it onto the computer or USB adapter etc.

Set up a connection to the phone system and try the typical settings such as 9600 baud, 8 bits no parity etc. Play with the baud rate as older modems used a lower speed of 1200 but sometimes up to 19200 baud.

The software is proprietary, it's called SEB Manager, and I think there was another one called "nGen" or something similar. There's a lot going on inside that SEB (there's two SDI Port connections (in the event the cores swap), a database that captures diagnostic routines (and I think CDR), there's a battery for local power failure, open/close sensors and it dials a 'central' OPS center when a threshold violation occurs). You're not going to find the SEB Manager software or manuals for download on the net (highly proprietary) and without it, the SEB is just a 14K Analog modem that will connect you to a TTY port on the switch.

I'll attach the only "sales" pdf I could find. Teletronics is out of business, but the telephone number or address may give you a place to start. And I did not find anything about Avaya offering SEB...

Attachments

• SEB.pdf
    62.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back