Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SEB Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallymcdoogle

Technical User
Aug 4, 2009
US
Hello,

I would like to get away from SEB-II connected to our OPT61.

Is it possible to use a PC, always connected to the switch, and have it write the messages to a file, process through them looking for errors, and then email/page when it matches a problem.

Basically serve as a windows-based-buffer alternate to an SEB?

Thanks in advance.

There might be someone that wrote a Procomm script that is just waiting for your call. Procomm can do just about anything with a serial connection and aspect and scripting is the best way to go. We use USR Courier modems for simple security on some systems, but SEB and ION on all of the others. Good luck.

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

We use alarm notification on Telephony Manager, if you have it.
It keeps a record you can scroll back on from all pbx's, as well as paging out on alarms you choose.

One thing to keep in mind is if you have a maint agreement with the vendor that installed the SEB, you may want to keep them in the loop as to what you are doing. They'll also need some sort of access if they monitor your switch 24/7

For budgeting reasons and historical great reliability, we are ending the maintenance agreement and simply want the notifications coming to our help desk.

Depending on what your setup is, I would look at SNMP to your data alarm monitor.

Be careful ditching your maint agreement. Tends to get very expensive when things do go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back