Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seat or sit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
When do you use one or the other? Is there a difference?

I don't think I'm going to be able to derive a Google query to get better data.

But in looking at the first 200 entries for "theater sits", only 5 or 6 actually use the phrase in reference to the number of patrons that can be accommodated. In the other 194 or 195, the phrase is used as part of a larger phrase which describes where the theater can be found.

Additional searches with theater sits followed by the prepositions on, at, by, in or near finds 270 hits, which accounts for ~38% of all appearances.

If that sample is statistically significant, it seems sits as a reference to patron seating is probably not the correct usage. But then, that result also supports my whole 'transitive => "seat", intransitive => "sit"' theory.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Wow, I guess I got side tracked before hitting "Submit Post".

John

Every generalization is false, including this one.

If you check the definition of sit and seat you will find that both can be either transitive or intransitive verbs. You will not find any overlap in the intransitive usages, but you will find overlap (causing to sit and providing accomodation for) in the transitive definitions.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

True.

But in the specific case of theater seating, the preferred usage (which I should have said instead of correct usage) seems to be seats, not sits. This may or may not be purely idiomatic -- but it does seem to jibe with my pet theory.

TANSTAAFL!!

I tend to agree that seats may be the preferred verb with respect to providing accomodation, but it is very difficult to know since sits is the only correct verb for describing location.

The only hole in your theory is the one case where an item is seated to another item, which is where the intransitive usage of seat comes into play.

A monitor is seated in its base because it is physically connected to it. It does not sit on its base, unless you have chosen not to connect it to the base.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

You've slipped again into passive voice for your examples. In the active voice, the sentence would read something akin to I seated the monitor in its base, which is transitive verb usage.

Also, the example YourDictionary.com gives is The O-rings had not seated correctly in their grooves., which usage I have always interpreted as The O-rings had not seated themselves correctly in their grooves, and is transitive.

TANSTAAFL!!

Just an observation:

Sit!
Seat yourself.

I know that commands in English have the implied you as in, "Sit you!"

But I found it interesting that I would not say "sit yourself" or "seat you."

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

Sit yourself" sounds strange, yet I wouldn't find "Sit yourself down" or "Sit yourself over there" unusual. Don't know if that may just be a British thing?

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back