Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching thru millions of rows for records that "sound like"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fousek

MIS
Nov 29, 2000
US
Hello all. I have a SQL Server 2000 db that has a table with ~10 million rows with a column LastName. Is there a way to perform a search on that column for a last name that "sounds like" my search criteria?

For example, if I search for the last name 'Meyers', I would like for it to return Meyers, Myers, Miers, etc. I'm trying the "soundex" function, but it returns too many rows. It's algorithm is not very restrictive, I don't believe.

Has anyone had to tackle this problem? I'm not married to the "soundex" function idea, so I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

APF

Terry - thanks for your response. Yes, I looked at English Query and concluded that it does not handle a "sounds like" situation. Are you familiar enough with the product to know that it does? My conclusion was based on about an hour of research, so I could be wrong!

If it is smart enough to handle "What are all of the last names that sound like Meyers?", I would imagine that the underlying SQL that it uses would include a 'soundex'.

APF

I don't use English Query myself. The documentation states you can create "Sounds Like" queries. I don't know if these queries would be any better than T-SQL using SOUNDEX.

SQL BOL: Sounds Like
Find rows with fields containing words that have the same sound. For example, "where is the restaurant named bentow" would find The Bento Box, Bento Express, and Tachibana Bento.

Reference:
Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back