Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching Part Word Within A Free Text Field 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sange

Technical User
Jun 10, 2002
AU
I know this is probably very simple to do however I have been unsuccessful.

I'm using CR9 and one of the fields contains free text. I need to search for the words, "Matter Finalised" or "Finalised Matter". I figure if I can just look for the word "Final" then this shall cover the different ways it may be presented (including potential spelling mistakes and typing errors). I thought I could do this by using LIKE in my formula but this hasn't worked.

Is there another approach where I can look for the word "final" in a free text field using a formula. I would also need to take into account the different ways the word may be presented, ie. Final, final, FINAL.

I'm using version 8 and have done something similar using instr.

Create a formula with something like
instr({field name}, "final") > 0 or instr({field name}, "Final") > 0 or instr({field name}, "FINAL") > 0

If "final" is in the field it will return "true".

In details, format section, suppress enter the condition
{formula name}=false
to hide all items where "final" isn't in the field.

Ella

Use :

instr(lcase({field name}), "final")

Reebo
UK

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes." - Billy Connolly

Thanks so much for responding with your suggestions.

I tried both solutions but for some reason instr(lcase({field name}), "final") didn't pick up those records containing the word finalised. The formula suggested by Ella worked a treat though - thank you :)

Sorry, you were meant to add the >0, so :
instr(lcase({field name}), "final") > 0

Reebo
UK

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes." - Billy Connolly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back