Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching inside Java source files

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerribleTerry

Programmer
Nov 12, 2003
US
Some time ago I noticed that the search function of my XP/Pro would *not* search inside Java source files. (I wouldn't find 'import' in '.java' files, for example.) A friend showed me a very complex way to change the defaults and - lo and behold: it worked!

Now, alas, it stopped working and I can't for the life of me recall how to set it properly. Seems there's some list of files that XP treats as searchable and .java isn't in it (surprise!). You have to do something to put it in.

Appreciate if anyone can help me on this.

Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work

Content Search Does Not Search All File Types for the Specified String

Navigate to and find this file and fix xp_persisthandler.vbs - Enable XP's "Search" to find text in files. It is reached via Win XP Fixes/ Win XP Search Problems/ Can't find files containing text.

Fantastic! It now works like a charm. Maybe I'm getting MS-paranoid, but I thought it suspicious that Java source files couldn't be searched. And even more suspicious when I (somehow) fixed it, but then it reverted back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back