Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching for rug sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpierson

Technical User
Jul 13, 2000
US
Ok, back again. MS Access rug sizes are input as 10.1 x 13.5<br>etc. 45 rugs right now and 44 are different sizes (why the customer has some as 10.1 and 10.11 is a mystery). I got it to where it would search for the width of a rug, such as searching for 10 wide turns up all rugs that begin with 10 <br><br>&nbsp;&lt;cfquery Datasource=&quot;donoghue1&quot; Name=&quot;rugsize&quot;&gt;<br>Select rug.itemno, rug.type, rug.description, rug.size, rug.price, rug.id, photo1, photo2<br>From rug<br>&nbsp;Where rug.size LIKE '#rugsize#%'<br>&lt;/cfquery&gt;<br><br>but I would like it to search for 10 x 13 regardless what is after the decimal point in the database.<br>Since there are only 45 rugs at this time I can go in and eliminate the spaces before and after the x if that is a problem.<br>Any suggestions?<br>Kim

Kim -<br><br>If I were you I'd change the design of my database, and have separate (numerical) fields for rug length and rug width...<br><br>The method you propose treats numbers as if they were strings... This seems to me a problem, because won't the snippet of code you suggested pick up '1000 x 13' as well as '10 x 13'?<br><br>If the two were separate fields, I think you could use the Int function in ColdFusion, and/or the Int1 function in SQL, to jettison what comes after the decimal point...<br><br>I'm no SQL expert, so here's the sort of expression I have in mind in 'pseudo code':<br><br>if (user_rugwidth = db_rugwidth) or ( int(user_rugwidth)=int(db_rugwidth) ) then match found!<br><br>This would pick up either an exact or an approximate user input...<br><br>Hope this helps... Can anyone else shed more light?<br><br><br>Tam<br>

I agree with TamHonks.&nbsp;&nbsp;You really need to store the rug size as two separate numeric fields instead of a single string field.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then you could do:<br><br>&lt;CFQUERY DATASOURCE=&quot;Test&quot; NAME=&quot;Rugs&quot;&gt;<br>SELECT *<br>FROM Rugs<br>WHERE (int(length) = 10 AND int(width) = 13)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;OR (int(width) = 10 AND int(length) = 13)<br>&lt;/cfquery&gt;<br><br>This takes into account that the rug might be 10 X 13&nbsp;&nbsp;OR&nbsp;&nbsp;13 X 10<br><br>This query works with MS-Access and ODBC.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>

Thanks to both of you. Since it was only 45 I went ahead and did add two more fields, width and length. The search for size works good now.<br>Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back