Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching for records between two given dates 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michaelcree

Instructor
Oct 3, 2002
GB
Hi I need to be able to search an Access database table for the occurances of an Item Code between two given dates.

I have created a form with three fields and one button on txtItemCode txtItemCodeReportStartDate txtItemCodeReportEndDate
cmdRunItemCodeReport

I want the user to enter a Item Code in the txtItemCode textbox a start and end date and on clicking the button open a report to display all the occurances of that Item code within the date range.

I have managed to get it to work searching with just the ItemCode but am now not sure how to add the date variables in?

This is the code I have so far:

Private Sub cmdRunItemCodeReport_Click()
If TxtItemCode > 0 Then
DoCmd.OpenReport "rptItemCodes", , , ReportResults
TxtItemCode = ""
Else:
MsgBox "Please enter an Item Code"
End If
End Sub

Private Function ReportResults() As String
If Len(TxtItemCode) <> 0 And Not IsNull(TxtItemCode) Then
ReportResults = ReportResults & " (tblReturns.ItemCode LIKE '%" & Trim(TxtItemCode) & "%' "
' ReportResults = ReportResults & " And tblReturns.ReceivedDate LIKE '%" & (DATEDIFF(dd, txtItemCodeReportStartDate, txtItemCodeReportEndDate) & "%' "
ReportResults = ReportResults & ")"
End If
End Function

Many Thanks for anyhelp in advance.

what you can do you can base the report you want to gentrate based on the sql builder and in the date criteria wirte something like this
Code:
 between [form1]![txtItemCodeReportStartDate] and [form1]![txtItemCodeReportEndDate]

hope you got it

I think I understand Is this where you open the report based on a query of the table?

And in the criteria field for the date add in

between [frmReports]![txtItemCodeReportStartDate] and [frmReports]![txtItemCodeReportEndDate]

I have tried this but it gives amessage "Your entry cannot be converted to a valid date time value"

Would this be because nothing is yet in the txtfields to be converted

is it the field where the criteria based on is a date field and if yes is it only the date or also time

sorry,

yes please try to ruin this query when the form is open and there is data in the txt boxes

Tried that but when you go to save the qry a message is displayed "Your entry cannot be converted to a valid date time value

between [frmReports]![txtItemCodeReportStartDate] and [frmReports]![txtItemCodeReportEndDate]

can you paste your sql here please i will try to review it

what ms access version are you using is it xp or 2003

Code:
between [COLOR=red]forms![/color][frmReports]![txtItemCodeReportStartDate] and [COLOR=red]forms![/color][frmReports]![txtItemCodeReportEndDate]

Randy

Hi

Thanks for all your help

In the end a friend helped me solve the issue with the following amendments to the code as follows

Private Function ReportResults() As String
If Len(TxtItemCode) <> 0 And Not IsNull(TxtItemCode) Then
ReportResults = ReportResults & " (tblReturns.ItemCode LIKE '%" & Trim(TxtItemCode) & "%' "
If IsDate(txtItemCodeReportStartDate) Then
ReportResults = ReportResults & " And ReceivedDate>CONVERT(DATETIME, '" & txtItemCodeReportStartDate & "', 103)"
End If
If IsDate(txtItemCodeReportEndDate) Then
ReportResults = ReportResults & " And ReceivedDate<CONVERT(DATETIME, '" & txtItemCodeReportEndDate & "', 103)"
End If
ReportResults = ReportResults & ")"
End If
End Function

Once again many thanks for your help

MichaelCree - Please pardon me for jumping in here, perhaps your problem is solved, and you don't need any latecomers mucking up the works, but after reading this thread, I think I can suggest a perhaps easier and more error-proof way of solving your problem. However, as noted, please feel free to discard this suggestion as you see fit....

1) Make the ItemCode guy a COMBO BOX of the valid ITEMCODES, making the selection easier. Keystroke errors are to be avoided at all costs, and users can always be trusted to type "XGTK-12990" when they might mean "XGKT-12990" - combo boxes make keystroke errors much less likely.

This will obviate the need for your "If LEN(txtItemCode)..." stuff - just check for a NULL combo box:

Code:
...If IsNull(Me!Combo1) then ....

Next, assuming a form name of "Form1" for simplicity...

2) Run your report based on a prewritten QUERY, with critieria for the ItemCode equivalent to "Forms!Form1!Combo1" and a criteria string in your ReceiveDate field of
Between #" & Forms!Form1!txtItemCodeReportStartDate "# and #" & Forms!Form1!txtItemCodeReportEndDate & "#"

3) Change your form's text guys names to "StartDate" and "EndDate", making the above code-let so much smaller:

Between #" & Forms!Form1!StartDate "# and #" & Forms!Form1!EndDate & "#"

Now, your button need only check for a null combo box, and then run the report. (Assuming your report is based on your query, with the two criteria as outlined above...)

I just quiver when I see code like "..if TxtItemCode > 0..." because that only tests for a non-blank-ish item code - not a VALID item code..what if your user types in "1", but there is no item code "1" - all that code goes to waste...

It's much better to "force" a correct entry via a combo box, than simply test for a "non-empty" text box, and go from there, don't you think?

Anyway, just my .02 worth...thanks for listening.

Jim

--------------------------------------
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back