Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching for Phones that are not being used 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

stturner

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2005
US
We are running low on digital licenses and the boss doesn't want to buy any new ones.

He asked me if there was a way to find out if a digital phone has been used in the last X number of days. His reasoning is that if it is not being used then we can remove it and use the license somewhere else.

Short of disabling some phones and seeing who complains, I am looking for a way to see when a TN was last used.

Any ideas?

The first thing to do is look for digital TNs that may not have phones plugged in. You can do this with the LD117 INV commands.

[tt]
>ld 117
OAM000

=> inv generate sets

Generate set inventory
Started successfully

<wait for the inventory to complete>

MAT010 Inventory set generation complete

<then print data>

=> inv prt sets

[/tt]

Short of that, you would need to have Internal CDR turned on, and then run a report of phones that had no activity....assuming you have a CDR system.

[&copy;] GHTROUT.com [&hArr;] Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators - You Can Hire Me Too

Thanks. I know it's not 100% accurate, but I can tell which TN's do not have phones plugged in if I enable all the ones that are disabled and then check to see if they disable again... correct?

I will check the Call Detail reports, I hadn't thought of that route.

After viewing inventory you can in ld 20 IDU l-s-c-u if a phone is plugged in will respond if no phone will indicate nothing there. .

just run a loop all test in ld 30, anything that comes back with a - in fron is not connected.

I think some are missing the point, I am not really trying to figure out if a phone is connected, I need to know if connected phones are being used. If the phone is connected but no one is using it then it is wasting a digital license and telephone that could be used in another location.

but if a phone isn't connected but configure, then it's also a wasted license. The loop test check all digital phone configured, any phones configured but not connected or no longer working will return with a - in front of the unit...base on that you can delete that tn and reclaim your digital license - since it was connected or working you don't have to wait for someone to complain.

Good call yyrkroon I will put that one in my repetoire of tests for testing for disabled units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back