Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searchin for F&P+Exch5.5 AV Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

eljefe79

MIS
Jul 9, 2001
US
Hi all,

Need a little advice on this one. Please stifle the laugh because I'm searching for a low overhead AV solution for my aged server farm. The org purchased Norton CE 7.5 as their virus suite. As much as I love it, I can't get it run on my old servers without having them BSOD. Appears to be related to a lack of resources. I've got to install a current solution on 16 of my servers in the field which meet the following requirements and replacing them is not an option

Load 30-40 users each
p75 Netserver LH 128 MB Ram
2 GB free on an 8gb total HPDA Raid 5 array
NT4 SP5
Roles
BDC
F&P
wins
dns
dhcp
Exchange 5.5 sp2

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Jeff

Jeff,

Upgrade NT to SP6 and Exchange to SP3 (4 if you are happy doing it). Norton should run fine on that.

Install the Norton Exchange Agent on the Exchange server and the Norton CE on a spare NT Server or low overhead server. Then have that one monitor all other servers remotely. Get all clients managed by the main CE server and the majority of servers aren't actually clobbered by Norton, only scanned remotely.

:)

HI.

I fully agree. You should apply latest SP to NT and Exchange.

One additional note -
On the Exchange server you install a "file" anti-virus (either NAVCE client or NAVCE server) - and you install NAVMSE for the Exchange server.
You should then Exclude all EXCHSRVR folders from the scanning of the realtime file based anti virus.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Hey All,

Thanks for the comments however even after upgrading the test server to SP6a and Exch SP4 the BSODs continued. Scanning from a fractional T-1 to the remote site fails miserably, locking the host box. I managed to finagle a call to Symantec's Engineering division through our sales rep. He has sadly confirmed that minimum hardware requirement for the NAVCE 7.5 Server component is a 200MHZ Pentium Pro and as for the exchange component its a 350Mhz PII. Suggestion was you "might want to try the workstation agent although it isn't supported". As for exchange, their were no solutions. Again these are multi-purpose BDC servers hosting both exchange and file\print. I checked McAfee's stats and their recs for exchange was a PII 300. I'm doubtful of their being a product out there currently that will work with these legacy systems and sadly, they actually think they have two years left as effective windows boxes and won't authorize hardware purchases. I'd like the name of their crack dealer. Any suggestions on software suites would still be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

two options then Jeff,

1. Use Star Internet or similar to check emails coming in. Load Norton workstation onto the clients and then all sides are covered but not the middle. Enable network scanning from yours and have it check servers on a friday night.
2. Change jobs. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back