Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search using two text boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScrabbleKing

Programmer
Mar 11, 2007
US
I am trying to get a search executed using the position and location (entered by the user) on careerbuilder.com. The code below is not working. I would actually prefer this done using javascript, though, but I am even further at a loss. Could someone please help?

Code:
<form id="career" action="[URL unfurl="true"]http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Jobseeker/Jobs/JobResults.aspx">[/URL]
<fieldset>
<legend>career</legend>
<label for="position">position</label> <input type="text" name="position" id="position" /><br />
<label for="zip">Area zip code</label> <input type="text" name="zip" id="zip" />

<input name="btnG" type="submit" value="Search">

</fieldset>
</form>

Which bit isn't working? Are you coding the careerbuilder site, and your back-end isn't working? Or, are you trying to take their code and have it work on your site (in which case you'd need to change the form action and write your own back-end search code).

What have you tried? What results do you see? What errors do you get? How is the behaviour you get different from what you expect?

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Thank you for your reply. I am trying to put code on my site that will open career builders website with their results based on the user's input on my page.

I am not getting any errors. Career Builder's site opens, but does not do a search based on the user's input. It opens as if there was no input yet.

I expect (as an example) that if the user enters 'customer service' in the 'position' field and '14612' in the 'zip' field that the results would be based on those two inputs. I expect the results to be based on whatever is in those two fields.

Or... it could be because the field names you are using do not match those on the site. When I visit I see two text fields and a select element, all named differently to yours.

Perhaps updating your form code to be identical to theirs might help?

Hope this helps,
Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back