Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search Query Locking Up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RacerGirl117

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
US
I have several users whose search locks up on them quite frequently (5-10 times daily). One in particular is worse than others. She clicks on the New Search button in the toolbar. Most often she will click on the ellipses by the Client ID field. Once she finds the client she clicks OK. Next she usually clicks the ellipses next to the Matter field and once she find the matter she clicks OK. Now, when she clicks OK in the search window, she gets the "issuing SQL query...." window but nothing happens. It just sits there and sits there and usually winds up not responding. She usually has to Ctrl-Alt-Del to get out of Docs (and Word) at this point. Sometimes if she logs off or restarts her machine and retries the search it comes up right away, but not always.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Could there be something in her profile settings within DocsOpen?

Thanks in advance,
Jessica Kinsey
Hiscock & Barclay, LLP
HelpDesk

Hi Jessica,

Do you happen to be running DOCSOpen 3.9.6 build 51 or above? If so, you may have a bug that we have just resolved by upgrading to build 59.

This problem only occurs when the 'Change Criteria' option is used instead of 'New Search', but you may find that when your users experience the problem that is what they've done. It also is more likely to happen if the users lease Word &/or Excel open when they close their documents, which may explain why only a couple of people have the problem. Most (but not all) of our users close the application when they close their documents.

The reason that the search locks up is that the SQL generated is missing the table links from the 'Where' clause so the search looks everywhere before eventually timing out. Hummingbird's reference for this problem is SD017328, but it doesn't give much info - I can give you instructions on how to reproduce the problem if you need them.

The good news is that build 59 doesn't appear to introduce any new problems :)

Regards,

Larena Woodmore
Western Power

Do you happen to be running DOCSOpen 3.9.6 build 51 or above? If so, you may have a bug that we have just resolved by upgrading to build 59.
@@@ We are only on build 32.

This problem only occurs when the 'Change Criteria' option is used instead of 'New Search', but you may find that when your users experience the problem that is what they've done. It also is more likely to happen if the users lease Word &/or Excel open when they close their documents, which may explain why only a couple of people have the problem. Most (but not all) of our users close the application when they close their documents.
@@@ The problem is actually mostly on one user's machine. She performs a New Search and it doesn't matter if she generates it from Word or Docs. She does leave Word open, as most of users do. I'd say 50/50 that users either search right from Word or Docs so if leaving Word open was really an issue we'd be hearing more complaints. Our users typically only use Word (90% of the time) so they leave it open. It's more cumbersome to them if they have to close and reopen every time that need to work on a document.

The reason that the search locks up is that the SQL generated is missing the table links from the 'Where' clause so the search looks everywhere before eventually timing out. Hummingbird's reference for this problem is SD017328, but it doesn't give much info - I can give you instructions on how to reproduce the problem if you need them.
@@@ No need...the problem reproduces itself on this one machine on a regular basis (just about every time she searches).

The good news is that build 59 doesn't appear to introduce any new problems.
@@@ Well that's good news. lol

Thanks for your help Larena. I'm glad somebody finally responded because we can't figure this thing out at all. Even our Hummingbird consultant is stumped. I will pass on your post to the rest of the IT team members though.

Jessica Kinsey

Larena,

Just thought I'd let you know that the information you provided me was passed on to the rest of the IT team and prompted a build update. I'm going to mark your post as helpful.

Thanks again!
Jessica Kinsey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back