Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigglenn

Technical User
Oct 30, 2003
US
This seemed like a simple issue but has proven difficult for me.

I have a directory on a site I manage. Wordpress3/MySQL 5.0.7/PHP 5.1.6

I have 1K plus company_name's with a '-' in the name.

My problem is if I include the '-' I get results ie adams-green returns the company I was looking for but if I search 'adams green' it will not.

Here is the code I use with my attempt to resolve with a simple OR statement. It works fine for me in straight sql but not in my PHP code. I am sure it is a syntax issue but can't track it down. I have include the code below. I do not get an error or NO RESULTS message. the page just hangs as if I put it in a loop or have a syntax problem. I have to reload the page to clear it up. If I remove the OR logic it works fine but with the '-' problem.

PHP

$query = "SELECT * FROM ".BIZDIRDBTABLE." l LEFT JOIN ".BIZDIRCATTABLE." c ON (c.category_id = l.category_id) WHERE status='1' ";

if(!empty($searchTerms))
{
$query .= $wpdb->prepare("AND (company_name LIKE %s OR REPLACE(company_name,'-',' ') LIKE %s) ORDER BY c.category_id ASC, company_name ASC",'%'.$searchTerms.'%');
}

SQL that works for my testing purposes.

SET @v = 'adams green';
SELECT *
FROM `wp_biz_listings`
WHERE status=1
AND (replace(company_name,'-',' ') like concat('%',@v,'%')
OR company_name like concat('%',@v,'%'))

Thanks in advance for your help.

"You can have anything in life you want if you help enough people get what they want"
Zig Ziggler

try this instead
Code:
$_searchTerms = mysql_real_escape_string($searchTerms);
$_searchTerms = str_replace(' ', '( |\-)?', $_searchTerms);
$query .= " AND (company_name regexp '.*{$_searchTerms}.*') ORDER BY c.category_id ASC, company_name ASC");

thanks jpadis,

I am not sure I fully understand all of that code but here is what I am thinking. This will strip out sp char like the - and whatnot. for every search.

I want to be able to find the record Adams-Green if the user searches by 'adams-green' OR 'adams green'

I am able to accomplish this with straight SQL but falling short with the PHP.

Also I do some data validation at the beginning of the search Function...
function bizdir_directory($searchTerms = "",$city = "",$zip = "") {
global $wpdb;
//Validate input
$searchTerms = strip_tags(trim($searchTerms));
$city = strip_tags(trim($city));
$zip = strip_tags(trim($zip));
$state = strip_tags(trim($state));

I did inherit this code so there are some things I can't explain..

Sorry to be a pain...

"You can have anything in life you want if you help enough people get what they want"
Zig Ziggler

$_searchTerms = mysql_real_escape_string($searchTerms);
$_searchTerms = str_replace(' ', '( |\-)?', $_searchTerms);
$query .= " AND (company_name regexp '.*{$_searchTerms}.*') ORDER BY c.category_id ASC, company_name ASC");

OK so I did some research and get the first two lines. I am having trouble with "regexp". not finding much help with that online.

Zig Ziggler

thanks jpadie,

it works! Thanks again for your help.

Zig Ziggler

good oh! the regexp tells mysql to search via a regular expression rather than plain text.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back