Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search Multiple Access databases for Object Name 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoroaster

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
GB
Hi

I may have posted this in the wrong forum, possibly a VB forum would be more appropriate, but please bear with me.
We use access databases to produce ad-hoc reporting information, and as time goes by, the number of databases tend to multiply, meaning that it becomes difficult to find queries and reports that we worked on say 6 months ago to produce an updated report to the same spec rather than reinventing the wheel each time. Effective documentation would be the obvious answer, but meanwhile, does anyone know of a way of searching through multiple databases for a specific object-name? The Search app in windows doesn't appear to interrogate object-names within Access databases.

Laters, Z

"42??? We're going to get lynched!

I would probably run a command like:
Code:
   Dir C:\*.mdb /S >MdbList.txt
I think this should create a text file of all your mdb files. You could import this into a table in Access and parse it out to get all of the MDB with their paths.

You can then run some code to loop through all of the MDBs and query the msysObjects table to capture all of the tables, reports, queries, etc.

You can create a query like:
Code:
SELECT *
FROM MsysObjects 
IN '[blue][b]YourMDBFileNameWithPathHere[/b][/blue]';

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Brilliant! Who woulda thunk it? Thanks v. much Duane, that'll save me hours...

Laters, Z

"42??? We're going to get lynched!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back