Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search Google from address bar 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdee1

Programmer
Feb 6, 2004
US
until recently i have IE all set up so if i wanted to search google, i could just type my search terms into the address bar. and just the other day it stopped working.

now if i type "coldfusion into the address bar for example...

it takes me to which obviously gives me a page not found error.

i have verified my autosearch setting. i tried going into tools internet options advanced and making sure "do not search from address bar" is not selected.

i tried reinstalling IE6 and nothing seems to fix this.

can anyone help?

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL ... look under DefaultPrefix and Prefixes for the abnormality and delete it.

But then...I'd scan your machine for malware for good measure, as something lead to this.
Have a look at faq608-4650 for starters.

"'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds." - Malaclypse the Younger

all the values in that part of the registry look fine.

i have scanned my system with adaware and spybot. bot found some issues and repaired them but it still does not work.

anything else i can try?

i tried the methods at and had no success.

i am pretty sure i was nto using a "magic key" before because i dont kwno what that is.

the method i used to set it up before was as follows:

in internet explorer open the search bar and click customize.

click autosearch settings button and choose google.

from then on, all i had to do was enter my searchterms into the address bar and the rsults woudl come up in google

until the other day when it just stopped working.

really weird.

To change the Search Companion and address bar search to Google, you must disable the Search Companion, change the AutoSearch URL, and then re-enable Search Companion.

yeah i did that, i just forgot to mention it in my previous post. in order to get the customize button to show up you have to be in classic search mode.

You may have a broken entry in file associations.

Go to my computer, view/folder options/file types (or control panel, folder options depending on your operating system).

Scroll down to the URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocols, click edit twice and make sure the following is in the application used to perform action box:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome

The same applies for URL:Gopher

DDE should be set to: "%1",,-1,0,,,,
Application should say: IExplore
DDE application not running should be blank
Topic should be:
The last thought is that a deeper association fix may be required.

Open a new notepad session, to be called IE_fix.cmd, and copy/paste the below:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Save the file, then double click IE_fix.cmd and answer the prompts. Ignore any error messages.

Reboot and test again.

well my file associations are correct and i tried running the script you said and it still doesn't work... i kinda have a feeling that the problem may have been caused by spyware but i could be wrong because spybot and adaware did not fix it.

either way - very frustrating.

thanks for trying... any other advice let me know.

In IE, Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, check your settings for 'Search from the address bar' to make sure the feature is enabled as you want.

yeah i did that too. i may just have to wait till i get my new computer in a couple months to get this feature back :(

Make sure that Spybot is not preventing you from making any changes to IE.

Have a look at "Browser pages" under Tools. And have a look at "Recommended Miscellaneous Protections" under the Immunize page.

well i tried the .reg file and it didnt do anything.

and linney, i dont see the options you are talkign about.

in spybot (v1.2) i dont see any Tools section and under immunize i dotn see anythign that says "Recommended Miscellaneous Protections" can you please elaborate on where i can find these options.

Interesting post. Enjoy the indepth discussion but, why not just install "Google Toolbar", with pop-up blockers, etc. and you can search Google anytime from anypage that you please? Its malware free as well.
my 2cents.

Linney is corret, you are probably running the Standard Version if you go start run spybot there are two options chose advanced mode then you will find the selections hes talking about

There are other conditions that cause the behavior that bdee1 is seeing. I have the same problem with all the machines on my office network and I know what's causing it, but haven't taken the time to figure out exactly why or how to counteract the problem. FYI all machines are using IE6 with different OS's and all related search from the address bar settings are correct.

bdee1, what services are running on your network? In my case, running Apache webserver on a linux machine causes this behavior on every machine on my LAN. I stop Apache and IE address bar searching starts working again. I suspect it's related to a DNS/Netbois name issue, but Apache is the only change I need to make to get it working again. I haven't figure out why, but all my users have been told they have to use google directly until further notice. If you have a similar condition, let us know.

Heck, why not just install Firefox and have a build in search you can point to any engine you like.

But to answer the question asked, has anyone else experienced this? With MS's new foray into the search market I wouldn't be surprised if this is *feature* of a recent patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back