Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

search for info in excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedro52

Instructor
Jan 29, 2004
AU
I would like to search for addresses that match the area I travel in, all names and addresses are in excel but there is no Find engine like there is in Word. Is there an add-in for this function? I havent found anything at Microsoft or download.com
thank you
pedro

Thank you for that tip, the only way to get multiple results for that kind of search would be to make a note of the rows that match the search, then highlight each row to copy and paste into a new sheet? Access 2000 would give all the results for a search in one hit, Excel doesn't do that does it?

Thanks again
pedro

If your data are arranged like this, I might have a solution:
Name Address Area
John L'pool East
Peter B'ham East
Ross Glasgow North
Jenny Bradford South

If your data looks something like this, you could use the Autofilter function, its located in the menu - Data/Filter/Autofilter.
You will get a small arrow at the top of each column.
When you press the arrow on the Area column, you can choose which area to show. In this example, if you choose 'East', only those two rows would show.

Hopefully I understood you right, and that this may help.

Me think it magic, thanks very much

pedro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back