Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search for files is misbehaving 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxEgg

Programmer
Mar 24, 2002
AU
My win2000 is fickle on running a Search. Sometimes it does a very quick (1 second) Search and then says "Searching is complete no results to display" ... even when I know that there are files that meet the criteria.

When I re-search on the same criteria... it goes straight to the same "no results" message.. not even a second of delay.

Should I reload Win 2000 ??

FoxEgg,

If you are searching for a file that is normally a "hidden" file, it won't show up in the search IF you don't have the "Show hidden files and folders" box ticked off in the view settings.
To do this:

1.) Double click the "My Computer" icon.
2.) Click "Tools", then "Folder Options".
3.) Click the "View" tab.
4.) Look for the "Show hidden files and folders" option, and be sure it's checked.
5.) Now, when you search, results will include hidden files and folders if they meet the search criteria.

[pc3] Rich
prescot9@hotmail.com
Father, Geek, and MCP

I had a similiar problem with search in win2k just after installing the o/s . After I installed the first service pack , every time i used search I would get an error and the search would close. Im not sure if it will have anything to do with your problem but after I installed service pack 2 mine was solved . Make sure you have both service packs installed and all the updates too. Just a hunch , not saying it will work.

You can get the service packs from

and

Good Luck
Tom

Thank you Prescot & Tom

Nope .. I'm not looking for hidden files... just ordinary documents. The "hidden file" checkbox was clicked already

I'l speak to the my IT guy about getting service Pack 2 suggestion....

Thx

I just did a test

in a directory c:\222 there is a file called united.wpd
I did a search on c: (plus subdirectories) click search

"Searching is complete no results to display"

Look for United* or U* or u* or u*.* or even *.*

Look via explorer all the files are there..... including united.wpd

AAGGGGGGHHH!!!!!!!! Send for the hemlock !!!

John

I found the solution...

I turned off the INDEXING option

Now it works fine

So what does indexing do ???.... and more importantly... who cares

FoxEgg

What a great forum. This "search doesn't work" business has been bothering me for weeks. Googling didn't turn up any solutions. But 3 minutes here on this forum (and then 10 minutes disabling the dang thing) did it. Thanks, everyone.

CarolynP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back