Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

search for discrepencies in file contents 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISMCSA

MIS
Jun 24, 2004
US
This is the scenario.

I have two text files with lists of user IDs. One file is a list of random user IDs and the other is a masterlist containing all user IDs that are part of a group.

What I want to do is write a script that cycles through every ID that is in list of random users and searches for that ID within the master list.

the object of this script is so I know which users, in the random list, are not part of the master list.

Thanks for your help!

You may consider a Dictionary object populated with the masterlist.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Would a collection work or do you think htat the dictionary object would be a better choice?

Dictionaries are faster than collections. It would also give the ability to expand beyond a simple data structure. I.E. you could have another dictionary stored as the value for a key that is the users ID. It would then be simple to access the user info.

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

A Collection would work (in VBA) but VBScript doesn't have it. Furthermore, even in VBA, a Scripting.Dictionary object is much faster than a VBA.Collection.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

I'm looking at example code for a dictionary object and the examples suggest typing in individual items.

Dim cars
Set cars = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
cars.Add "a", "Alvis"
cars.Add "b", "Buick"
cars.Add "c", "Cadillac"

How can I load my list of 4000 users into it?

Read the text file. If each userid is on its own line then something like:

strID = oFile.ReadLine()
oDic.Add strID, True

In this example I made the value be a boolean True, but it can be any variant. Including arrays or other dictionaries.

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

How can if the ProDictionary has all of the user IDs in it?

'Define Variables
Dim fso, ReadFile, ProDictionary, StdDictionary
Dim strID

Set ProDictionary = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
'Set StdDictionary = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set ReadFile = fso_OpenTextFile("c:\Documents and Settings\LT197\My Documents\Projects\OfficeXP Project\ProGroupIDs.txt", 1, false)

Do While ReadFile.AtEndOfStream <> True
strID = ReadFile.ReadLine()
ProDictionary.Add strID, True
Loop
ReadFile.close

I don't understand the question. It looks like your code will create a dictionary that has all of the userids from the text file for keys and True for all of the values. What is the problem?

Now, to test the random user, you simply use something this:
If ProDictionary.Exists(strJustReadID) Then

Hope This Helps, PH.

Yea, sorry. I did not ask that question well at all. I must have been thinking to hard while I was typing.

I'm going to try a couple things and see what happens. thanks for your help.

I'm getting a type mismatch error with Ubound in the code below. Any ideas?

For i = 0 to Ubound(arrUserIDList)
If Not ProDictionary.Exists(arrUserIDList(i)) Then
WriteFile.WriteLine arrUserIDList(i)
End If
Next

Posting the whole code would certainly help ...

Hope This Helps, PH.

'Define Variables
Dim fso, ReadFile, ProDictionary, StdDictionary, arrUserIDList
Dim strID, strUserID

'Set StdDictionary = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set ReadFile = fso_OpenTextFile("c:\Documents and Settings\LT197\My Documents\Projects\OfficeXP Project\ProGroupIDs.txt", 1, false)

Do While ReadFile.AtEndOfStream <> True
strID = ReadFile.ReadLine()
Loop
ReadFile.close

Set ReadFile = fso_OpenTextFile("c:\Documents and Settings\LT197\My Documents\Projects\OfficeXP Project\UserIDs.txt", 1, false)
Set WriteFile = fso.CreateTextFile("c:\Documents and Settings\LT197\My Documents\Projects\OfficeXP Project\NotMemberofGroup.txt", True)

Do Until ReadFile.AtEndOfStream
strUserID = ReadFile.ReadLine()
arrUserIDList = strUserID
Loop

WriteFile.WriteLine arrUserIDList(i)
End If
Next

To test your loop (which looked fine to me) I did this which worked:
Code:
Option Explicit
Dim i, arrUserIDList, ProDictionary

arrUserIDList = Array("ID1", "ID2", "ID3")

WScript.Echo arrUserIDList(i)
        End If
Next
Is this the only place that you iterate an array?

arrUserIDList is not an array, so the UBound function will choke.
You may consider replacing this:
Do Until ReadFile.AtEndOfStream
strUserID = ReadFile.ReadLine()
Loop
By this:
arrUserIDList = Split(ReadFile.ReadAll, vbCrLf)

Hope This Helps, PH.

Good eye PHV. I was looking at the wrong piece.

As I was reading through my code I was thinking it wasn't an array. I was just replacing the value every time, wasn't I?

Anyway, what you gave me apparently worked, but I need to verify the results.

You guys have been extreemely helpful!

It works to a certain extent. However, a new issue has arisen. I am comparing strings in this script and it just so happens that there are spaces after a few of these IDs and it recognizes the spaces as being a different ID. Is there an adjustment, that can be made within the code, that will eliminate spaces?

Replace this:
By this:
ProDictionary.Add Trim(strID), True
And this:
By this:
If Not ProDictionary.Exists(Trim(arrUserIDList(i))) Then

Hope This Helps, PH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back