Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search engine windows blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

happykappy

Technical User
Dec 21, 2001
US
Had to unjoin and rejoin a domain. The search engine window is empty of everything. The only think present is the menu which does not have any functionallity. How can I restore the contents of the search window to its default setting.

Be more specific, please....are your talking about IE?
What search engine site?

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius

Woops, sorry. i am talking about the search engine that is part of XP to search for files or folders on your PC.

Tried the files but they did not install due to some vb scripting error. Not sure what they meant

This link (and its leads) will offer you a precis of general search problems and fixes.

The one with the srchasst.inf file may be worth a try.

Error Message: "A File That Is Required to Run Search Companion Cannot Be Found" (Q315330)

Try this link with a view to fixing your search engine.
Click on WIN XP FIXES on the left of the page and look for "Win XP Search Problems".

307123 - Blank Dialog Box Is Displayed When You Perform a Search on a Disconnected Network Drive

Some general things to try.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

"Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP
From Cnet forums.

Quick Info

File Name: scripten.exe
Download Size: 661 KB
Date Published: 9/18/2004
Version: 5.6.0.8825

Overview.
This download installs Microsoft® Windows® Script containing Visual Basic® Script Edition (VBScript.) Version 5.6, JScript® Version 5.6, Windows Script Components, Windows Script Host 5.6, and Windows Script Runtime Version 5.6."

I tried to reregister jscript.dll and vbscript.dll and got the error message.
Tried the missing or damaged -- and extract the files from the cab. Not sure which cab the files are located. However I copied the jscript.dl_ and vbscript.dl_ to separate folder and expanded it manually. then copied the xpanded files to system32 folder. Tried the reregister it but that failed.
Went into the registry and found that the first file under HKLM\software\classes\clsid\{f414c260-...)missing. Should I add it back.
{f414c261-.. was there with the correct designation except that instead of c:\windows\system it was c:\windows\system32\jscript.dll
The same was true for {f414c262-..
Do I need to put the files in the system folder instead and repoint the windows.

Also, it helps to either fully path the dll, or from a DOS box CD into c:\windows\system32 or wherever the DLL is located prior to the regsvr32 statement.

Thank you for the quick response. What about the missing file in the registry. {f414c260-.. Should I add that back. When I look at the IE I notice that I am getting a box in the upper left hand window which suggests that something is not getting open or loaded in the explorer. Wow, so much changed or got corrupted from unjoining and rejoining a domain. I am nervous about doing it again.

I copied the files to both system and system32 folders. Said it overwrote the files in the system32 folder. Tried the regsvr32 again and pointed to both files in system and system32 folder. Got the error msg dllregisterserver failed.

Maybe I need to reinstall XP

f414c260 whatever is not an XP file.
Please re-read the MS KB above, the value should be jscript.dll in the registry.

The regscr32 command was to be applied to jscript.dll and vbscript.dll

Also:
Open a new notepad session, to be called IE_fix.cmd, and copy/paste the below:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Save the file, then double click IE_fix.cmd and answer the prompts. Ignore any error messages.

Reboot and test again.

{f414c26-....} is a missing key in the registry. I followed the instructions in KB 831430. Trying to reregister Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll got errr msg
dllregisterserver for these files failed.
Expanded both files and copied them to both the system and system32 folders. Tried to rereister and got the same errr message.
Went into the registry to look for files it suggested to edit and one of them was {f414c260-xxxx...}which was completely missing in the registry. The other 2 files were present in the registry and had the correct value data in them according to the KB 831430.
I created the IE_fix and it registered all the values except Msjava.dll. This returned the same error message as for jscript.dll and vbscript.dll.

Did you try installing the Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP from further up the thread?

Also I have seen many posts where these sorts of problems ended up being fixed by copying missing registry keys from working machines and pasting them into the broken machine.

There is a program called "fixwinhelp.vbs" that is meant to repair "help", after running certain "cleaners". Do a google search for it, for some reason, I can't copy and paste the program to you (probably all the safety features in XP2).

Yes I installed Windows script 5.6. It could not completely install some dll files. So I am not sure it works. Is there a way to test. What registry keys would I copy. I am not sure what is missing from the registry.

Any time you think a DLL file might be missing, run the System File Checker:

Start, Run, sfc /Scannow
Have your XP CD handy.

I tried everything suggested to no avail. I gave up and did a restore image using Acronis software. My last backup was only 11 days ago, so I was not too bad off. It worked great and now everything is back to normal or so I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back