Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search does not work within Windows Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

grofaty

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2003
SI
Hi,

I am using Windows XP Professional. In Windows Explorer in left window when I click right mouse button on specific folder and from drop-down menu select Search, then nothing happens. It should open "Search window" but it doesn't!

Please help,
Grofaty

Are you sure this will help? This program is for Internet Explorer repair, but I have Windows Explorer problem!

Open Explorer and go to the Windows\Inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the I386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).

The Windows\Inf folder is a hidden folder. You can adjust your Explorer Folder Options (View tab) to Show hidden files and folders. You can also click Start, Run and enter %SystemRoot%\Inf to open directly to the Inf folder.

Source: Kelly Theriot

grofaty, yes the search function in XP use internet explorer .dlls

Hope this helps. Please let me know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

JFBouchard, I haven't try this yet. I will download the program and try.

bcastner, I have try this out and it still doesn't work. So when right click and Search then search window DOES NOT opens.

Any additional tip?

You can also do it manually:

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 url.dll
regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx

Hope this helps. Please let me know if this resolve your issue

Jeff

JFBouchard,

I have tried out all regsrv32 command listed. All but one where ishued ok.

regsvr32 url.dll reports error.

And the result: search still doesn't work! Any tip?

Thanks,
Grofaty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back