Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

search doc for slackware

Status
Not open for further replies.

haneo

Programmer
Jan 2, 2002
CA
hello !

I had a long experience with redhat and little with mandrake. I want now t olearn more about slackware i had bought the slackware 8.0 cd.
But it is differente from redhat. I had made a search on the net about tutorial sites for slackware(there is so many docs for redhat !!!)

Can some one tell me a site(s) to start.

My problem now is to start and stop deamons (samba, wu-ftpd, nfs,....) with red hat i have just to do /sbin/chkonfig --level 2345 xfs off (exemple). But with slackware 8 there is no /sbin/chkconfig !!!

Hi,

Now you can see the advantages of Redhat & Mandrake (redhat repackaged with some add-on tools) over some of the others. Slackware does not use the 'sysv' init process used by most distros and the 'chkconfig' tool is a tool that saves all the hard work of creating symlinks in the different runlevel directories as required by sysv init. Some other distros (debian for example when I last looked) still require you to manually put links in the runlevel directories. When you've done that by hand a few times you'll appreciate what a good tool 'chkconfig' and its gui equivalents is/are.
Under sysv init you have directories thus :

/etc/rc.d/rc0.d

/etc/rc.d/rc1.d

/etc/rc.d/rc2.d

/etc/rc.d/rc3.d

/etc/rc.d/rc4.d

/etc/rc.d/rc5.d

/etc/rc.d/rc6.d

All of these contain symlinks to the 'real' scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d . So, for example, when the system does an 'init 3' to change to runlevel 3 it actions all the scripts linked via /etc/rc.d/rc3.d . If you do a 'ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc3.d' you will see. The link names beginning with 'K' mean kill (stop) at that runlevel and the 'S' ones mean to start. The numbers are priorities.

Anyway, slack uses 'bsd' (the other main unix flavor to 'sysv') style initialisation. Here you have runlevel scripts rather than a script that runs everything in a matching directory. See this for an explantion -->

Hope this helps

to metrix007: thanks for the link, i must learn slackware because i changed my job to another ISP and they use only slackware, they say that slackware is more stable than redhat !! i don't now if it's really more stable, if you now some things i am interested :)

to ifincham: thanks the link is very interesting and yes SysV startup script is really helpful.

sorry dude, i have only just started running slack, if i can help i will :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back