Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Search Companion not workin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markyboy

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2001
GB
I am unable to get the search companion to work in XP.
When I try to run it I get the following error
"A file that is required to run search companion cannot be
found. You may need to run setup"

I have tried the fix specified in Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article - 319949, but it didn't make any difference.

I am running win xp sp1.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Regards

Search - Doesn't Work

Open Explorer and go to the Windows\Inf folder. Locate the srchasst.inf file. Right click it and select Install. You'll need your XP CD or the files from the I386 folder. (This fix will require you to have your Win XP CD).

The Windows\Inf folder is a hidden folder. You can adjust your Explorer Folder Options (View tab) to Show hidden files and folders. You can also click Start, Run and enter %SystemRoot%\Inf to open directly to the Inf folder.

Error: "A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup".

The file that is missing, or corrupt, is one of two. BAR.XSL or BALLOON.XSL (and/or other files in the same folder), depending on your search preferences. These files are both normally located in the Windows\srchasst\mui\0409 folder on your hard drive. These files may be locally cached in the Temporary Internet Files, so this may explain why some users have this problem "intermittently".

Error Message: "A File That Is Required to Run Search Companion Cannot Be Found" (Q315330)
Windows XP Search Companion Does Not Work Because of File Corruption (Downloadable Fix)
The problem stems from Search Assistant being unable to connect to This can be caused by proxy servers, firewalls and some "ad blocking" software.

cf. Kelly-s Korner:

Ive tried these fixes but without any success, Im thinking I may need to rebuild which I really do not want to do as my customer has loads of work on his hard drive.

Thanks anyway

Then just try:

Start, Run, sfc /Scannow

Have the CD handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back