Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seagate Scsi drive failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdowavz

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2003
US
Has anyone ever had a problem with Seagate scsi drive models ST373405LC AND ST173404LC? I have had 2 identical servers for about a year now and I've had 4 different drives out of 12 go bad. I've either had to rebuild them or replace them completely. Has anyone had the same experience with these drives? What might be causing these drives to fail? I am out of ideas.

Hi there we had the same issue with an IBM SCSI expansion unit. We changed a lot of disks because of BAD status. Finally we called IBM (maintenance contract) to replace the SCSI backplane and they changed it after a lot of discussions.
And now everything is working fine :)

regards
Gino

Have about 20 array online, with different hardware brands. I use Seagate drives almost exclusively, mostly LC in 18, 36,74,147 Gig, 10K and 15K rpm ( most arrays are under 5 years old). I never "mix and match" drives; and order drives in one batch so I obtain the drives in the same lot, and with the same firmware.
Rarely do I get a failed drive, and have not lost an array in over 6 years. I should leave offerings to the Seagate AMI, and LSIlogic Gods.
Since you have two identical server, sounds strange. Firmware and drivers, especially firmware can create false drive failures. Had this situation with an older model AMI adapter which behaved properly only after a firmware update. Check with the manufacturer before updating, firmware flashes have been known to destroy data. More hardware details would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back