Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudecrush

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
US
All - First time in this forum (normally in the Cisco Call Manager forum)

I've got a dead 2TB Seagate Baraccuda XT; Model: ST32000641AS: 7200 RPM; 64 MB Cache and SATA 6GB.

I don't have an identical replacement drive in my stash, but I have an equivalent Seagate "Enterprise Capacity" drive:
Model: ST2000NM0044; 7200 RPM; SATA 6GB/s; Cache: 128 MB

My question is: Will this drive work in the server? I think it will but want to throw it out there since I'm not normally a server admin (but I play one on TV).
The only difference I can see is the cache rate, but I don't think it matters since that's internal to the drive itself.

Thanks.

Answered my own question. I submitted a ticket with Seagate and they called me back. The replacement drive is an equivalent.

The main thing I've seen in my server travels is as long as the type and speed are the same you are usually good to swap. I know that trying to mix SATA and SAS will not work in most servers. Seagate and WD are both pretty good at getting back to you with general questions so glad they stepped up to bat on that one.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back