Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

seaarch engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolMama

Programmer
Jan 19, 2006
US
I have looked through lots of ASP.NET books and can't find one that will show me how to create a search engine. Why?

Specifically, I need to build a search engine that scans a number of folders for files that contain a submitted keyword. It could also scan the database that the file links are located in. Specifically it should scan HTML, DOC and PDF if possible.

Dawn

So what work have you done on this so far?

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

What I have are 2 existing free downloaded search engines written in ASP/VB. One searches only HTML and the other searches HTML and DOC. But the one that searches DOC writes the entire file path as a result which makes reading through the results difficult. As a temporary fix, I was going to alter the search engine for DOCs to truncate the path so only the file name is written in the results.

But as a final solution, designed for my specific needs, I was trying to find examples of search engines, or a book, that could lead me to writing my own search engine in ASP.NET/C#.

Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back