Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SEA and VIO IP addrress- Confusion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

polani

Instructor
Jun 4, 2003
CA
Guys

I am planning to do a single VIO configuration on a POWER6 server which has come with 4 port IVE card. I have to implement one production Lpar with two dedicated ethernet ports , but keep flexibility in mind to end up with an infra which can allow more test/dev lpars on same server. For this purpose , i am end up with two LHEA ports only.

My question is that if i create an etherchannel on these two ports and assign this etherchannel to VIO server, Can i configure SEA using this physical adapter ( for use with future client Lpars ) as well as can i put Ip address of VIO on same physical adapter?

To more clarify , let say physical LHEA ports on VIO are ent0 and ent1. Let assume i create etherchannel ent2 and then SEA "ent3" using ent2 as physical adapter. Now on which adapter should i put VIOS IP address ? ent2 or ent3 ?
Please note that i will use SEA ent3 for future client Lpars assignment.

Please help

Here comes polani Once again!!!

See my personal blogs at
for unique solutions and tips on AIX, Linux,Storage and TSM.

You can put an address on the SEA, not on the underlying physical adapter - ent2 in your case - but I believe the preferred practice is to create another virtual ethernet on the SEA and stick the IP on that.

HTH

I'm not sure your setup will work. For VIOS/SEA, you need to assign the HEA as a physical adapter to the VIOS, so that the SEA software can put the adapter into "promiscuous" mode. an LHEA virtual network port won't cut it. That's what my understanding is...

HTH,

p5wizard

Hi

Yes i agree !!!. offcourse i will assign HEA ports as physical adapter to VIOS( not LHEA.. it was my typo).

In that case , do you think any issues? any other possibilities to meet requirements in more better way?

Regards

Here comes polani Once again!!!

See my personal blogs at
for unique solutions and tips on AIX, Linux,Storage and TSM.

If you assign the HEA port to VIOS, then that's it... you'll have no other (LHEA) ports to assign to other LPARs (I think, not 100% sure).

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back