Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SE install. Machine quotes "Bad command" After i type "setup&quot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2007
GB
Hello forumites! I have an old UNIKA desktop that was working fine and i thought it would be easy to reinstall win98se (like it is to reinstall xp on my laptop) however, ive read various tutorials and posts online and i went through the fdisk oporation but apprently it is already sorted out that way. so then i formated the drive and made it a system disk, then i selected my cdrom drive which was of corse D:, but in the help file on the boot disk it says that the bootdisk pushes you drive allocation up 1 letter ,
so i type e: then press rtn, then type setup and rtn then i get the bad comand text. i know how to change my bios settings, i just press del when im rebooting, and ive tryed every variation of which drive to load up first. dont really have knowledge of dos but i can follow instructions. I also have the cdrom drver on a floppy, and i know the cdrom drive works cos ive been using for a year before i screwed it up. any ideas toally appreciated, thanks
northender!

You may find that there is another drive in place that forces the CD higher still. Or the bootdisk may have failed in some way to cause the RAMDRIVE to not install correctly and the CD may still be at D:.

Reboot and watch the splash messages for the CD. That will tell you where it is.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

i watched for the info on the screen when booting it up and it says the diagnostic tools were sucessfully loaded to drive d, then i typed f: to see it the drive had been pushed up further but it just said invalid drive specification.

northender:

Just type SETUP without using a letter. The win98 ebd contains a path statement in the autoexec.bat file that will find the cdrom no matter what letter is assigned to it.

Chuck

okay i fixed it, i just cleaned the lens of the cdrom drive and now it has worked, it was totally caked in dust! thanks for the advice though! Northender

Although you won't be able to see it now I suspect there was a momentary splash screen telling you that the CD wasn't found.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back