Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SDX 500 Tape Eject Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenScoville

Technical User
Nov 30, 2001
US
We're running a Qualstar 4440 jukebox with 4 Sony SDX 500C tape drives (AIT-2). Earlier this week our backups began to fail and upon investigation I learned that 3 of my drives were failing to dismount tapes. The 4th drive was not installed in the jukebox at the time.

I tried to "manually" eject the tapes from each drive by pressing the "Eject" button on the front of each drive. The drives would rewind the mounted tape and attempt to eject the tape. The drives do try to eject the tape, but fail to lift the tape high enough to make the opening in the drive.

This behavior is seen on all 3 drives (but not the 4th since I installed it after the fact).

It seems to be a mechanical drive issue--but I cannot figure out how the exact same mechanical issue can manifest on 3 separate drives at once.

Any ideas on what the root cause for the eject failure is and how to fix it?

Any idea on how to get the tapes ejected/removed?

Thank you!

I have been having the exact same problems with the same drives.?!? Seems to be at about the 1 year mark (just after the warranty period) that we have problems with them.

I have seen this problem with both SDX500 & SDX 700, and both times it turned out to be a physical malfunction tape.
The tapes are very vunerable and sensitive to ie. drops on a floor.
In one case, I had to dismantle my jukebox and my drives in order to get the tape out of the drive. But I also seen that it can help if the drive are power cycled before you press the eject button.

I always check the cover lock on tapes before use, as it appears that it is here the problem exist

For KenScoville: It does seem odd that all 3 drives would go bad at the same time. Did you ever call in to tech support to troubleshoot with them on this issue or take advantage of their 24 hour swap program? This issue is normally due to the software itself or the back up tapes you are using. Do you regularly use cleaning tapes? Can you connect the drive to power alone, hold down the eject button for 15 seconds and eject the tape?

For kimHusted: Their is a 3 year warranty and 3 year 24 Hour Swap program on most VAPD (Value Added Products Division) models of these drives. The only reason why your drive would not be supported after a year would be becuase you bought a cheaper OEM version of the real product.

For Magnusfar: Great post buddy! :)

"Astra non mentiuntur"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back