Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SDStbRes.dll 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewishardwick

Technical User
Jan 11, 2003
GB
Hi guys(and girls!),

I have just started having an error popping up on my server.

"Error SDStbRes.dll:The specified module could not be found."

I have tried the event log, checking a similar set-up server for the dll file, and also searching the MS support sites. There seems to be no mention of this file. Has anyone ever come accross it before or know of any other log file that I can check?

Many thanks for yoru help guys!

Lewis

Hi,

I have just had this error on our W2K Server based network. I cannot find an answer, how did you go?

regards

Greg

Thanks for the link.

The message appears to be linked to problems with an uninstall of McAfee on our main Domain Controller.

Greg

Good morning!

Mcafee decided to change the way that is decompresses its SDAT update files. It used to be performed in the Mcafee folder under program files. Now it is in the windows temp directory. However, this was in March when the change was made. The file SDStbRes.dll is a temp file and is only on the drive for as long as the Dat update is going on. If it can't be accessed in the temp folder, this error will occur.

We were running fortres grand on our workstations (desktop security program) and had everything set up correctly to allow the updates on our workstations. As soon as Mcafee changed the format, this error came up on all 600 of our workstations. After two weeks of looking at fortres log files and file traces we entered in a line item into fortres to allow write access to the temp directory and it quickly fixed the problem. However, this is security risk, but tough to know where to exploit it to the average user. Here is the email I recieved from Fortres Grand:

Unfortunately, this will cause a potentially serious security risk. You
will have to enter the following as a Privileged Application:

C:\WINDOWS\TEMPFiles not to Protect:
The directory that they are going to copy files into.

Eric

This is the message I originally sent to Fortres Grand Tech support:

I have an interesting problem.

Mcafee decided to change the way their SDAT file uses the windows temp
directory.

We are getting this error: SDSTbres.dll. One of the library files needed to
run this application can not be found.

Fortres is causing this because it is blocking the file.

My question is this. The SDAT file is downloaded into the windows temp
directory and extracted there. The temp directory path and file name is
variable

c:\windows\temp\1e211fg.tmp\sdat4256.exe ( file name will be different next
week, SDAT4258.exe i.e)

How do I enter a privilaged application with variable paths and filenames ?

You can thank Mcafee for this one. I think it used to be extracted in the Mcafee folder.

If you have this error and do not have Fortres, I have heard that some people have rights issues to the windows temp folder on NT boxes that can cause the same thing(install rights).

If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Hope this helps.

We've been having the same error, every now and then. The weird thing is that it doesnt occur every time an update happens. Does anyone know why???

Hi fixed this Network Associates had a fix but it was like download a new dat, as the one you have is curropt. Hmm it worked on all my other servers. I had a problem with it on a NT 4.0 terminal server. I rebooted the server downloaded the dat and bobs your uncle running the latest release.
It seems that someone had installed some software on my terminal server, that was causing the update to throw an error.

But all sorted now.

Has anyone been able to sort this problem, please advise.
Any help will be well appreciated.
Thamks Maureen
12 August 2003
mmmorgan@mail.com

To all still having problems with the SDStbRes.dll issue... Here is a simple fix.. Goto the Network Associates website.. Then goto the download section.. Then Select (From the Virus protection menu) 'Engines'.. This will take you to a page that has several options choose 'SuperDat File (Engine + DAT)' This will then take you to another page that has the downoad you all seek.. This updates the engine and the DAT files.. I had this problem with Win98 machines where-by some accepted the plain DAT files and others chucked back the infamous error.. I simply ran this download on all the machines with the problem and bobs ya uncle! Have fun...

Had identical error (could not find SDStbres.dll) on multiple NT 4.0 machines running McAfee v4.5.1. Researched on McAfee's web site and found solution id NAI30685. Basically the DAT update file was corrupt.

Copied a new DAT update file from McAfee's web-site and all is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back