Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SDRAM fried with static

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guthro

Technical User
Sep 9, 2006
GB
I had cause to take my HD out and use another pc to format it with an external power supply and USB- IDE link. Fine.
When I put the drive back to install windows I got a memory error. The Ram is SDRAM 512mg in one slot and I had just put in a 128mg next to it in the 2nd slot on an ASROCK K7VM2 board. I had need to remove the RAM to clean dust off. I blew it off.
I had 3 bios beeps and the ami bios list says this is a memory problem. I removed the 128mg leaving the original and still got the error. The only way I don't get the error is if I put the 128meg RAM in slot 1 and completely remove the original 512mg stick.
Have I got static on the old stick ?
I didn't use a wrist stap but was careful and grounded myself and held the chip by it's edges.
Is there anyway to remove static from a SDRAM chip ?

Thanks.

It's unlikely that you've damaged it if you were as careful as you say, but still possible. I suspect a bad contact - if there was dust on it, some may have fallen into the slot when you took it out. Take it out again - carefully! - and blow out any dust from the slot, preferrably using a can of compressed air because then the air you're blowing will be dry. Then try re-seating the RAM and see whether that has helped.

If it has been damaged by static then it can't be repaired.

Regards

Nelviticus

Is there anyway to remove static from a SDRAM chip ?

NO... once static electricity hits it, it is fried...

you could though, test the RAM in the second slot or one of the others, and see if it is damaged...

also you did not mention if the 128mb RAM is either DDR or SDRAM... cuz, mixing these two will not work...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Get a copy of memtest86 and test the memory stick to prove it is damaged of not. The BIOS MAY just be complaining the the memory has changed and it may still be OK.

The answer is "42"

The 128meg is the same format as the 512 and goes in the same slot.
I have 4 slots on the MB. Two for SDRAM and two for DDR.
I found 2 x 256meg chips and put them in the tow slots and they worked first time. So I expect the 1x 512 is fried !
>.<

My Feeblegirl.com Forum boards for mmorpgs, sport, fun, politics...

Reset the CMOS put the orginal memory stick back in. I have seen this before and for some reason the CMOS gets confused. I install new memory everyday and have seen this resolve the issue more then once

First time I tried what you said and it got onto windows and then stalled but atleast it worked.
Second time the same problem again and it took many shorting attempts of the CMOS.
My next idea was to use one of the 256meg in slot one and the erroneous 512mg chip in slot 2. It worked without problem !
I don't think this ASRock m/b is the best in the world to be honest unless its just me.
Its very hard getting in and shorting the CMOS as they have left only 2 solder points and no actual jumper pins.
Will removing the battery for a min or two have the same effect ?

The PC won't run with the erroneous 512meg solo in slot one or two but with a 256meg in one, the 512meg works happily in two.
There is a speed disparity between the two as the 512 is 133 and the 256 is 100mhz so of course they both now run at 100mhz.
Thanks for the input guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back