Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SDR + DDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadaemdo

Technical User
Dec 2, 2001
AU
will they both work together? on the same motherboard which supports it? (DDR Im talking about the new ram).

I have just bought a Jetway motherboard and It says you cant use both types of memory at the same time, something to do with timing.I think you need to use one type only.

One or the other!! NOT both!
If it's an ECS (Elite) board we are talking about, K7-5SA, then they tend to have fewer problems when fitted with DDR memory.
Expect around 5-10% better performance as well! Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

yeah but dosent it seem pretty silly that they would make motherboards which have slots for both of them.

not if someone is upgrading and doesn't want to spend alot of money on ddr ram when they already have pc133ram. It is an upgraders dream![peace] ggebhart@clover.net
I hope I never get too old or arrogant to learn something new!

Can you drive car with two 14 inch an two 15 inch wheels? Sleew
Compaq & Microsoft TS
sleew@infosky.net

sleew but Im talking about a motherboard which has both SDR & DDR Slots. So about 5 slots in total

Yes but u must chose between DDR and SDRAM not to take both because those modules have different speeds(for example:133mhz SDram vs 400 DDR)and different nanosec.(for example: 2ns DDR
vs 12ns SDram).It like my mainboard wich has one slot1 for fcppga Celeron and one socket 370 for Pentium 2; it does not mean i can use both processors.If u dont wont to invest in expensive DDR use SDram.
It is good to have a choise!
Sleew
Compaq & Microsoft TS
sleew@infosky.net

the reason it has both is to sell more motherboards, if you have pc133 ram you aint gonna buy it if it only supports ddr ram and vice versa. which also rocks for you on a upgrade, because you can stick your pc133 ram in it untill you can afford to get the ddr ram. but no you cant use both...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back