Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SDLT + Arcserv........................Stinks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anawrocki

MIS
Nov 6, 2002
US
Has anyone out there got ANY flavor of SDLT to work well with AS2000? I have been fighting it here for a long time and I am about ready to try switching to Backup Exec. I am running all of the latest and greatest firmware, service packs, patches, etc.

I paid CA for an incident and they were absolutley no help.

I would bet you that anyone here would agree with me when I say Arcserve sucks

I wish a couple of years back we'd bought something other than ARCserve...

As for SDLT, we only have an SDLT drive on a big UNIX system (not running ARCserve) the tape drive gets replaced about every 2-3 months due to failures.

What issues are you getting? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

We have been using Arcserve 2000 for about 8 months successfully. We are using a Quantum SuperDLT1, and have the latest patches. What kind of problems are you experiencing?

I have used AS on standard DLT for many years and have been about 90 percent happy with it as long as I did not need help from CA.

I have 3 110/220s and one 160/320. They are spread across 3 different servers. I see about 1 in 10 new tapes and about 4 in 10 recycled tapes fail fail in the middle of a backup. It does not matter what drive or server. Once the backup is complete a restore is never a problem.

My current solution is to send the failed tapes back to quantum for new ones about once a month and that is getting old.

I have learned I can minimize failures with recycled media (but not totaly eliminate them) by doing a full erase. When the erase fails I know I have a bad tape.

I have tried the Compaq TSMC utility to erase tapes that have failed and maybe 1 in 3 of those will be re-usable.

I have tried several different types of SCSI cards.

We have a signigant investment in SDLT and I need to find a way to make it work.

Any thougts would be greatly appreciated.

Same issue with AS2000 and SDLT110. At first I thought it was the tapes, but it was happening so frequently I figured something else is wrong. I've gotten around the symptom by cleaning the drive pretty frequently (about every other backup). Has seemed to work so far, but I think something definitley messed up in the way AS talks to the drive. And I'm not really sure how all that cleaning will effect the drive's lifespan.

I may have the answer, but I am holding my breath, It seams by turning of the Compaq SCSI agent we may have solved the issue. So far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back