Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SDB file in Sidekick ver 2 suddenly loses all data when saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

nysailor

Technical User
Feb 21, 2009
US
Jim,

I've used Sidekick ver 2 for years and have used it without a problem on my Vista Home machine for months. Suddenly, when I try to save a change to ANY file, the data disappears and SDB file is written to the hard drive with 0 bytes. I then get a "not a valid card file" when I restart the program. I then have to restore the file from backup and thus can not make any changes.

Any ideas? I've reinstalled the program friom the original CD. No change. I even made a new database with the same structure as a test, and exported out the data from the original file, and then imported the data to the new file. Same problem.

I doubt that a new version will make a difference as the program worked flawlessly for months. (I did try to download and set up a newer version, but couldn't get it going in Vista.)

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Dear nysailor,

I do think that a newer version is the answer, if you let us know the error messages that you got when trying to install we can help.

I do not think that SK2 / SK95 are the best versions I tend to go with the SK98 version.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Jim,
I installed and patched SK98 on Vista Home per instructions, but when I execute the program doesn't show as running, but it shows as a process taking 50% of my memory.
Any ideas? I'm thinking it may be easier to correct the problem with the older version than to get the newer one to run.
Thanks

Check out the following Faq here at Tek-tips

faq807-5203

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort! Good Luck!

Jim,
Tried the FAQ to no avail.
Again, program installs, but when trying to run the process shows in the task manager but the program does not initialize. All Google processes are off.

Dear nysailor,

Try stopping a few other processes and right click on the SHORTCUT which you use to start it and choose to run it in Compatability Mode.

I am off for a few days, so no more answers till end of next week.

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back