Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SDA mount point on linux Box for USB mass storage device (data lost??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitanav

Programmer
Mar 10, 2003
IN
Hi all,

i was trying to connect my USB Disk Staorage device to Linux 9.2 (mandrake).before i understand the process , i click yes too chose a mount-point in mnt/removable.
Now i am not able to access my mass storage device on Windows based machines. i am almost loosing my data which i was keeping since 5 years . please let me know how to remove this linux mount points and i can use or recover same HDD for my windows machine.
when i tried to connect USB mass storage device to Linux box. it shows to me that sda mount point over lapping on sector 126 where i found that one partion is 55 GB and other is small (less than 100 MB )

i cant give more details on this ,.
its urgetnt to get all data recoverd . so please help

Sounds like you may have a faulty partition table. What file system is your USB drive on (fat32/ntfs)? When you plug your USB drive into a Windows machine, does your drive show up under "My Computer". If you can see the drive under "My Computer", can you do a scan of the drive?

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Hi ,

When i tried to put USB drive on Windows , windows machine gives Blue screen and restart.
i only can see it on linux , but i cant read data. as i told it shows to be there are 2 partion on USB drive and they are overlapping

Please help

There are a few things I need to know first.

1. Is you "Mass Storage" Device an 3.5 inch IDE HDD in a portable enclosure?
2. Is this the same HDD you have used for 5 years?
3. What is the capacity of your drive?

Why I asked these questions.

1. If your device is a regular 3.5 inch HDD. You can try to plug it into your PC and see if it works. If it does, you may be able to do some diagnostics. Try Partition Magic, its one of the best disk partitioning utilities. If you have a Notebook drive, you may want to buy a converter.

2. Most regular 3.5 inch HDD last between 5-7 years. After that, it may die on you at any time. Regular desktop drives are not designed to be carried around. So by using it as a portable device, the more likely it is for the device to die on you prematurely.

3. For one thing, fat32 is not a reliable file system for partition of more than 40GB in size. Another thing is, if you have a 20GB drive and you are told that it has 55GB+100MB, then, you may have a screwed FAT or the USB-to-IDE controller in your enclosure is misreporting your drive parameters. If its the former, try solution in section 1. If its the later, try another disk enclosure.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

hi Zeland ,

HDD wich i am using is usb to IDE 60GB in enclosed ibm case with USB2.0 cable. I bought this 1 and 1/2 Year back in Vietnam.i am always travelling thats why i kept all data from 5years (which was on CD's) to this drive .(unfortunately some of this data was not on CD's ) since the time i bought this i visited 3 countries . i have all of My memories in that such as my brothers marrige .and alot about me :( ( i have digital camera ) so there is No second copy for any of thoses photos now.

Rest of the story u know already .

thanks for your time its gr8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back