Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SD flash memory cheap brand 60x or sansdisk ultraII

Status
Not open for further replies.

touregg

Programmer
Nov 7, 2003
US
I'm looking for a sd card for a camera i'm getting for Christmas. I saw a kingmax 60x which is a 10mb/sec max tranfer rate card for $35 (256mb) but i also saw a sansdisk ultra II which claims it handles no less than 9mb/sec write for $45. is this just a marking ploy is the sansdisk going to write faster than 9mb/sec at times and the 60x card is it going to write slower then 10mb/sec at times? anybody have any knowlege on this?

touregg
Both are fast flash memory types it's just that the manufactures have approached their advertising in diferant ways.
Sandisk is obviously the bigger brand but flash memory on the whole is pretty reliable.
As for actual speed in use, there is a differance between standard and high speed memory types but I doubt you would notice it between these two being of similar spec.
I can say take these performance figures with a pinch of salt, they are purely theoretical max's, in every day use transfer speeds don't come anywhere close to these figures.
When I use my 40x CF 512 Fuji's on a USB2 card reader (480Mbits/sec 60mb/sec) it takes up to 4 minutes to transfer a whole cards worth of pictures to the hard drive.
The most important benefit of fast flash types is fast writes, this enables multiple frames to be taken in quick succession for sports or action photography.
Taking a little longer to download the pictures is no hardship.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I see thanks. In that case. Actully looking back the cheaper one is $30. Is there any reason that you know of (such as build quality) why i should pay an extra $15 for the name brand?

the kingmax is 5 years and the sansdisk is life time.
who knows what we will be using 5 years from now. so really 5 years could be lifetime for me.
Are digital cameras typical limited (speed wise) by the memory card or is it the other way around. I am going to use this card in a pretty cheap 4mp camera. a samsung 430. I want to take pictures as fast as the camera will allow, at it's highest setting. I found a deal on another card, a 512mb lexar for $45 but it is a 32x. If speed is a larger concern would i be better off with one of the two 60x cards or will the speed difference be minimal?
I do relize that any input on this matter is an opionion.

another question to add to the mix. paparazi you state that in every day use these cards don't come close to there speed rating. i read a review on the kingmax that agrees with that statement. But the sansdisk card claims " Have a minimum sustained write speed of 9MB per second and a read speed of 10MB per second."
do you belive this is a load of crap?
unfortunily i can't find a speed reivew of this card to determind for my self.

Digital camera electronics decide on the "save and refresh" rate. The different cameras (expensive ones) may list this, they never mention the memory. From what I've read [can't afford one <grin>], you have to get to the $900.00 (USD)bracket before you get to the "click-click" style of a 35mm camera. As to the original question: the speed of the card could make a difference, but only if you are a professional, using a $1500.00 camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back