Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI time out error

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkoverlord2279

Technical User
Jan 4, 2006
US
Hi everyone,
Last month, one of our Overland tape drives had a stuck tape and we got a replacement from Overland. We installed it, and tried doing a test job. It runs fine for a while, and then fails. Backup exec's job log says " The action failed because of an I/O error". The system log says " The device, /Device/SCSI/adpu160m1 did not respond within the time out period. We installed the latest drivers for the SCSI card and installed the latest Veritas drivers for the tape drive and it didnt work. We replaced the SCSi cable twice and the SCSI card once and still no luck. We figured maybe Overland sent a faulty tape drive so we sent this back to get another one, to no avail. Has anyone else encountered the same problem?

Ok, I think I know what's causing a failed job. I normally install Veritas drivers for the tape drive. During the course of a test job, the tape drive goes back to the original default Microsoft drivers, which invariably causes it to fail. The tape drive also shows an error message on the panel "Fault code 1005: Illegal SCSI Cnt Cmd".
Has this happened to anyone, or does anyone know why this happens?

Were you able to come up with a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
stelljohann
--The number of times an uninteresting thing happens is an interesting thing.--

Yes. I changed the SCSI ids of the autoloader and it worked. The SCSI ID was earlier set to Library-4, Autoloader-6. I changed it to Library-1 and Autoloader-2, and it started functioning properly. I dont know the logic behind it...but since it's working now, I'm not complaining.

Interesting - we just recently started getting SCSI timeouts on one of our ADIC libraries; I will add a review of SCSI IDs in the chain to our diagnosing regimen.

I think that should be the last step in troubleshooting. The problem with SCSI timeouts is that there are a million things that could cause the timeout. But by Murphy's law, it's going to be the very last thing that you check that causes the timeouts.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back