Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI Hard Drive now missing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntonioAnsell

Technical User
Mar 7, 2004
GB
Hey.

I have three hard drives SCSI attached to my HP Workstation. All of a sudden, one of them (Drive E and a slave) is either found and works fine as normal, or is not found by the controller, or the latest is it is found by the controller on boot up, but reports the following: START UNIT REQUEST FAILED.

This drive has been behaving perfectly up until the last week and hasn't made any noises, grinds etc.

What could be the problem? Any ideas or help greatly appreciated!

Happy Christmas!
Antonio

Not found is drive controller not being seen.
Start unit request failed is a drive unit problem.
Your drive appears to be on the way to failure, but you might want to reseat the cable several times and verify the termination setup.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Hey...

No luck - my drive sometimes finds itself, rarely though and works fine. The rest of the 95% of the time I still get the same problem.

I have managed to run checks on the drive when it has found itself and defrag'd it, hoping that would help, but it hasn't

All my other drives are fine on this controller.

I'm now thinking of getting a replacement out of HP Compaq or just buying another. Luckily I've managed to save my work.

Keep me posted if you find any solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back