Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI Controller or Tape Drive Bad??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickmays

MIS
Feb 2, 2002
US
We have a conner ctt8000-s tape drive connected to an adaptec AHA-2940 scsi controller. It has been working fine for 2+ years with NT Backup. Recently it stopped working and we receive the message that a hardware error has occurred and the backup will not run. On bootup the scsi controller acts normally. If we put a cleaning tape in the drive, it appears to act normally. Looking in the NT control panel at the scsi device and the tape device, both say the device is working normally. I have reseated the controller card and unplugged/replugged the cable with no apparent effect. Anybody know from experience whether this means the tape drive is bad or the scsi controller? My next step is to spend the $65 and call Adaptec tech support to have them help me diagnose. Thanks for any input.

Rick Mays

I would try a new tape before paying for tech support. If you've been using the same tapes for 2+ years they're probably getting worn out. A hardware error would typically mean the controller or the drive to me but I have seen a hardware error reported when trying to read or write to a bad tape. Besides, it's a lot easier to try a new tape than it is to try a new scsi controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back