Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI Connectivity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

smellydoberman

Technical User
Sep 14, 2002
US
Here's the situation:

1. A Maxtor Atlas 10K IV, Ultra 320, 36.7GB SCSI HDD with an 80 pin SCA-2 connector. Drive model #8B036JO.

2. An LSI Logic LSI20320-R controller with the usual HD68 internal connector.

3. The connector adapter (part number SM-071) on this page: It can be seen a little ways down that page, the first item under the section called "SCA Adapters (SCA-80)".

Here are my questions:

1. Will that adapter allow the drive to be used with that controller?

2. How will the drive be getting the 5 and 12 volts it needs to power up? There's only one thing to plug into on that drive, and that's the 80 pin SCA-2. There is no power connector.

Thank you.

Homebrew P4-3.0P; Intel D865GBF M/B;
512 Crucial DDR400; Sony DVD R/W; (1) Maxtor 160 SATA, WD Raptor 74G SATA, WD Caviar SE 200G, WD 80G EIDE & Maxtor 60G EIDE HDD's in CRU Dataport VI+ pull out drawers; Supermicro SC-750A Full Tower; PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 425 Power Supply; (1) 92mm and (1) 120mm front intake fans; (1) 92mm fan rear exhau

1) Suspect that it will. Life is funny and sometimes things don't work together like they should.

2) Adapter boards generally have a AMP socket on them to take the standard hard drive power plug.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I think tha thte socket is there - look at the right side of the SCA & SCA2 pictiures. I think the white part is the side view of the power socket.

Now that you mention it and I squint my old rheumy eyes up and look closely, that's exactly what it is. Thank you for pointing that out.

I gave myself a brief crash course on SCSI connectivity/adaptability yesterday which answered my other question and them some.

Homebrew P4-3.0P; Intel D865GBF M/B;
512 Crucial DDR400; Sony DVD R/W; (1) Maxtor 160 SATA, WD Raptor 74G SATA, WD Caviar SE 200G, WD 80G EIDE & Maxtor 60G EIDE HDD's in CRU Dataport VI+ pull out drawers; Supermicro SC-750A Full Tower; PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 425 Power Supply; (1) 92mm and (1) 120mm front intake fans; (1) 92mm fan rear exhau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back