Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SCSI Card Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

summerhill

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
GB

I have recently installed an Adaptec AHA2940UW SCSI card in a computer that I eventually want to use as a server. I have another Adaptec card AHA2940U in another computer and it works fine. The problem with this one is:

When I boot the system, I do not get the SCSI Select utility to load. I get the following:

Time out failure during SCSI inquiry command
No SCSI boot device found
SCSI bios not installed.

Im not worried about the boot device part of it because I am not trying to boot from a SCSI hard drive. I am using the SCSI card for a backup tape device. I am concerned about the SCSI bios not installed line though. I do not get this with my other card. Is there a jumper on the board that needs to be set to enable the SCSI bios and the SCSI Select utility?

All assistance appreciated.

Mike

The SCSI bios normally only needs to be installed if you have a hard drive connected to it that you boot from.
If your OS recognises the adapter and connected tape drive then it shows that the card and cabling is working OK.

definitely disable the scsi bios. It will boot MUCH faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back