Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scrolling button on the side of the page

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfordjj

MIS
Jul 23, 2003
US
I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking to do is called, all I know is that I've seen it out there. I'm hoping one of you smart folks can at least point me in the direction I need to go.

I've got an order form page that creates itself by reading a flat file. There are a lot of items, so the page is very long. I've got a "Submit" button at the top and bottom of the page, but there is a lot of space between them and I'd like the "Submit" button to be more accessible. What is the method of creating one of those "sliding" (for lack of a better word) buttons that moves along with the scrolled main section?

At first, I thought it must be a JAVA thing, but then I wondered if I could do it with a <DIV>.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have!

Hi

You can solve it with CSS. Give it [tt]position: fixed[/tt].

( Note that [tt]position: fixed[/tt] works only in standard compliant browsers. However there are workarounds for Explorer 6. )

Feherke.

Here's a decent tutorial on how it is done...once the page loads, look at the top left hand corner for a box that reads "This content stays afloat..." then scroll up and down the page....

TIP: trying googling the answer before posting, you'll find that more times than not someone else somewhere has had the same request and posted an answer online.
----
I have recently been semi-converted to ensuring all my code (well most of it) works in both javascript and non-javascript enabled browsers

feherke,

HAHA!! Got me there. I was too busy multitasking to proof read my post.

vicvirk,

I did Google it, but I wasn't sure exactly what to call it. I tried several things, but didn't find the answer. Whenever my brain gets stuck in park, I come on here for you guys to give me a gear switch. :)

Thanks to both of you. I'm going to look into both of your solutions.

Thanks again!

Well, I went to the website vicvirk recomended and got a great code that I just cut and pasted into my page, tweaked it up for making 2 "static" items (one on each side), and it worked great. Or so I thought...

It works great in Chrome and Firefox, but not in IE. I should probably post this in the JavaScript section, but I started here, so I thought I'd go ahead and finish here. Here is my code:

Code:
<?php

echo "<div id=\"staticcontentL\" style=\"position:absolute; border:1px solid black; background-color: lightyellow;\">
<input type=\"submit\" value=\"Click Here to Preview Order\" />
</div>";
echo "<div id=\"staticcontentR\" style=\"position:absolute; border:1px solid black; background-color: lightyellow;\">
<input type=\"submit\" value=\"Click Here to Preview Order\" />
</div>";

?>

<script type="text/javascript">
//This script moves the <div> with id="staticcontent" down the page as it scrolls

//define universal reference to "staticcontent"
var crossobjL=document.all? document.all.staticcontent : document.getElementById("staticcontentL")
var crossobjR=document.all? document.all.staticcontent : document.getElementById("staticcontentR")

//define reference to the body object in IE
var iebody=(document.compatMode && document.compatMode != "BackCompat")? document.documentElement : document.body

function positionit(){
//define universal dsoc left point
var dsocside=document.all? iebody.scrollLeft : pageXOffset

//define universal dsoc top point
var dsoctop=document.all? iebody.scrollTop : pageYOffset

//if the user is using IE 4+ or Firefox/ NS6+
if (document.all||document.getElementById){
crossobjL.style.left=parseInt(dsocside)+5+"px"
crossobjL.style.top=dsoctop+100+"px"
crossobjR.style.right=parseInt(dsocside)+5+"px"
crossobjR.style.top=dsoctop+100+"px"
}
}
setInterval("positionit()",100)
</script>

I know just enough JS to cut and paste my way into trouble! If I need to move this post to the JS section, let me know and I will.

Again, thanks in advance!

I think you should start anew. FF and Chrome should be able to produce such an effect without javascript and IE6 should be able to do it with a little hack. Search google for IE6 position fixed and you will find many tricks on how to do it (and the code using position: fixed will work in all other browsers).

[small]Do something about world cancer today: Comprehensive cancer control information at PACT[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back