Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scroll with wheel in VBA modules 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertT687

Programmer
Apr 2, 2001
US
I have an annoying problem.
I have the latest Intellipoint drivers (5.0) on a Win2K Workstation. I have both Access97 and Access200 installed, and they both work fine.
The scroll wheel on my Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse does not work in Access97 or Access2K VBA modules. It seems to work fine everywhere else.
Is there some property setting I'm missing or is this behavior by design?

Thanks!

I have a Microsoft Mouse and I cant scroll either.

Sorry to say it but i just learned to live with it.

I just use page down or up.

I have this problem too! VBA windows in MS Access work fine, but when I'm working in Visual Studio I can't scroll using the wheel. Very annoying!

I'll definitely award purple stars to anyone who can solve this one.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Drivers, drivers, drivers. Even if you just got your mouse out of the box and installed the software that came with it, go get yourself a new driver. Scrolling through code with the wheel makes life MUCH easier, and if you get a new driver, you should have no problem doing this.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Access Databases for Non-Profit Organizations

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

To JeremyNYC:
I have the latest Intellipoint 5.0 Drivers downloaded in December from Microsoft. Are you saying there is already something newer?

I have the same problem but it only happened once i upgraded to windows XP. How can i fix this???

I'm running Access 97 and a Logitech thumb-trackball with the wheelie-doohickey. Updated drivers. No dice. I've learned to use the PGUP/PGDN keys quite effectively. Also, CTRL+UPARROW/DOWNARROW moves me either up or down one subroutine in the current module. So that helps, too.

I also set my keyboard repeat rate to "fastest" and the repeat delay to nearly nothing. I did this back in the days when I was doing data entry, and it helps for programming as well as anything else.

For newer versions of Access that actually use the VB IDE, I think a driver update will work.

Just to confirm all this, I searched Google, and sure enough, there are a bunch of questions saying "it doesn't work in a code module" with the general response being "get newer drivers, it does work."

Or there's no response at all.

Di0genes,

Perfect! That's solved it for me.

Have a purple star. :)

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Try this program (this will fix any scrolling issues with any programs (or so it seems) - just took seconds.. I posted in a thread I started about the same topic:

I found an answer! Apparently, for some reason, in some cases, the VBA code window does not natively support the scrolling from a mouse. Don't know if it's a bad installation or what. However, there is a way around it. I found a free small program called "freewheel" on the web. Just go to I just installed it, and immediately can use the scroll in my VBA code window! Awesome app!

The MS KnowledgeBase has this:

Mouse wheel events do not work in the Visual Basic 6.0 IDE

At the bottom they claim it applies to VBA as well, but I couldn't get it to show up in my Add-Ins under VB.

Sadly, the link entered by Di0genes now goes nowhere so I don't know what his solution was.

You could try just going to , and search there, maybe it was moved to a different location.

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

This is the guy who actually wrote the official fix that's mentioned in the MSKB article 837910 above, Robert Gruen. He wrote a blog entry about "MouseWheel Fix for VBA":

But that's only good for Access 2000 onwards, so those like me are stuck with no mousewheel on some of our mice (like my old-school Logitech trackball).

Have you tried the freewheel side app? I've been using it now for quite a while with no problems - using Windows 2000 and Office XP (but also worked with Office 2000).. I imagine it would work well with Office 97, b/c it is an old app.

Stephen [infinity]

Hmm, oh well, sorry it didn't work out for you.

Stephen [infinity]

Oh thank god I read this post!! At last it works!! Thanks stephen, have a big purple one!

jimlee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back