Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scroll Reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gus669

MIS
Oct 22, 2004
US
Okay heres one that might be a brain teaser. I know it is for me.

I can run WinXp all day long but when I get on the internet and start to use my scroll on the mouse boom, computer immediately restarts. Doesn't matter what web page I'm on. I can surf without using the scroll wheel and its fine. But as soon as I scroll- REBOOT.

Swapped out the mouse- still does it.
Reset BIOS to default- still does it.
Swapped out PSU- Still does it.
Flashed BIOS on the mobo- still does it.
Swapped Video card - still does it.
Swapped out RAM- still does it.
Re-installed IE 6.0 - STILL DOES IT!

Next comes the dreaded re-install of XP.

Anybody hear of this type of behavior?

Thank you in advance!

First things first, go check out your event viewer and look for any BSoD errors. If you find any, post them up here and we may be able to check out and see what is happening.

To me, it sounds like the drivers for the wheel mouse, or the associate aspect of windows, has some form of corruption that is causing a blue screen.

Side note, if you wish to see the BSoD, right click on my computer\properties\advanced\startup and recovery, uncheck the box to "Automatically Restart on system failure".

WOW!

"Side note, if you wish to see the BSoD, right click on my computer\properties\advanced\startup and recovery, uncheck the box to "Automatically Restart on system failure"."

Didn't even know about this. No wonder I haven't been getting a BSOD.

Thanks for the tip this ought to come in handy.

Will check tonight, Thanks again.

Please tell us exactly the manufacturer and mouse version, and the mouse driver you are using. Include the connection to the PC: PS/2, USB, wirelss etc.

Well I found out what it was.

2 bad memory sticks UNBELIEVABLE.

Swapped my son's memory with mine and it runs flawless.

The tipoff came when I started getting PFN LIST CORRUPT, AND IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL BSOD's.

Put the BAD memory in his machine and it locked up.

Thanks for the excellent tip aquias, and bcastner thanks for your reply.

Oh, nicely done! I didn't suspect memory on this one! I'm glad to hear it is all taken care of!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back