Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

scripts on all pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2002
US
How can I make a change or add a script to all pages in website without having to do each one manually?

Thanks

Thanks so much for the reply.
I don't know what a .js file is!! :(
I'm just starting out.

Heather

its a javascript file.

you include the script into your page like this

<script type='text/javascript' src='myscript.js'></script>
before the </head>

create a textfile called myscript.js and put your script in it.

Aaron Taylor
John Mutch Electronics

Thanks for the explanation...
Say I have a completed site..and I want to go back and put an inline frame on each page....without having to go to each page and do it manually??? Is that possible???
If you have somehow already explained this I apologize..as you can tell..this is very new to me :)

Thanks
Heather

an inline frame is not javascript but html.
and a note its a ie function that wont be visible to netscape and other users.

<iframe name="I1" style="border:2px solid olive" width=540 height=350 src="file.htm"></iframe>

another way to put data from a file into a section of a page is server side includes SSI.

<!--#include file="thisfile.htm" -->

your server has to support it
and the page containing this command may have to be have an shtml extention.

if you go to my page the contents in the news box is an include, this allows me to use a news posting script that updates a news file so anyone that visits the website gets uptodate news.

Aaron Taylor
John Mutch Electronics

Was not aware of the iframe issue..I told you this is all new :)

This is what I have:

(I know it needs a lot of work...designed in Photoshop..put in Frontpage..I don't know HTML..I'm trying to learn as I go, and of course, eventually want to get away from using Frontpage.)

not bad for a first attempt.
not happy with the fact that on a large monitor the right side of the screen is blank. :-(

Aaron Taylor
John Mutch Electronics

I know! I don't know how to fix that yet... :( That would be something else I need to work on...

Simple enough...but will I have problems with alignment if I do that? I will have to make some other adjustments..?
Will work on it as soon as I get a chance. I've been very busy!!!
Could you possibly tell me why there is a white space underneath the bottom navigation. I'm not sure how that happened.

Thanks,
Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back