Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Scripts Not Activating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2005
Got a problem here with scripts not activating.

They are existing scripts, which I just want to modify slightly eg just changing the values after the WAIT command.

The message box comes up saying Activating Script: <Script Name> but it just keeps going and nothing happens. I've left it for 15 minutes before giving up.

Any clues?

Are you using the Web Client to activate your scripts or are you using the SMI workbench? I would try to activate the script in both (If you have both) to help determine if it is the application.

Cheers for the response.

Primarily have been using SMI workbench (FAT client) but have also tried with Web Client just incase.

Hmmm it might be patch related. Have you determined if you are on the latest PEP? I'm just throwing it out there because I've never experienced this problem. I'll keep researching.

I've checked with someone else here and apparently we have got the latest patch.

Incidentally, it was working fine for a couple of hours on the day in question, as I was amending a few different scripts, then out of the blue it just stopped working.

Many thanks for taking the time and effort.

Still looking into it. I hate to suggest the standard Microsoft fix but have you tried re-booting Symposium and the web server?

My boss has now got BT Engineers on the case so I will leave that decision up to him!

Whatever the outcome, I will post the answer here incase it helps someobdy else.

You should really try to avoid bouncing scripts in the middle of the day on busy servers as well. I don't know how much traffic you have but its not as clean a cut as nortel always leads you to believe.

If you have to make regular changes to script sections I would suggest using some Call Variables so that you can alter parameters of scripts without having to bounce the script. This was something you were almost forced to do if you wanted to make changes to scripts in the earlier versions of Symposium. The servers just couldn't handle the load...

The scripts would just up and hang trying to activate and you had to reboot to get them out of it.

If this isn't the case you might try and bounce the Master Script and see if while it validates all the scripts it clears up whatever problem. Sort of a shot in the dark but if you just don't want to reboot that is really the only other thing I would try.

Out of Curiosity how long has your server been without being rebooted?

Not sure what you mean by the term "bouncing" but then again, I am not a programmer by trade!

I already use Call and Global Variables wherever possible in scripts.

Apparently the BT engineers are coming out to look at it, possibly today. My guess is that the first thing they will do is re-boot it!

Out of interest, how regularly do you think a server should be re-booted. Do you re-boot yours yourself? I have been told that we cannot re-boot ours ourselves as we are not then covered if anything should happen to the server.

Good luck with BT !

We always rebooted our server ourselves, as we couldn't rely on BT's service (no grips, just personally found them completely incompetent when it comes to anything invoving phones, data and common sense). Make sure your shut down the server correctly, don't just hit reboot. I'd also shut down, not restart. Once it's down, leave about 30 seconds and then fire back up.
Make sure you book them out of hours unless you want to fall back to basic ACD in the middle of the day.

As a rule on rebooting I've found
NT4 if you go 3 months your doing well.
W2K should be ok up to 6 months
W2003, Should be ok for up to a 9 months
but all of the above depends on usage, memory, other programs etc.

Moan over...

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

By bouncing I mean "re-activating".. the Master Script has to go out and validate all the Primary scripts that are addressed in it. This may or maynot clear up an issue you have with an existing script that is listed as a primary. All I was saying is that is what I would try next as sort of a shot in the dark.

I agree with STU on the rebooting.

If you have a server that doesn't get a lot of changes done to it you might be able to go longer. If you are constantly modifying items on the scripts, configuration, new/outed users ect you might consider doing it more often. Nortel says that the Operating system isn't a full blown microsoft version and shouldn't need to be rebooted but experience says it does.

Also if you have a lot of shuffling of ACD phones you might consider doing a parrallel reload on the switch every few months to get the switch software back to base and knock out ay corruption. We found that doing that dramatically cut down on the number of trouble issues we had over the course of a year.

Not sure whether this helps or not. I was working at a site where the scripts would halt in mid-activation without any messages, like you said it just seems to stall.

This was particularly an issue with any Master Script or large Primary Script changes and happened even when I was doing it in the wee morning hours where there was low, if any "traffic".

The way we resolved it, I stopped trying to activate the master script and any of our large primary scripts from my laptop and used a desktop one of my team members had. I'm not sure whether it was my laptop configuration that caused the problem or he way I interacted with the LAN, but it worked.

My laptop functioned perfectly fine with Symposium in all other instances.

Good luck!

Turns out it was nothing technical. One of the test scripts we use called "Message test" was referencing itself ie ...EXECUTE SCRIPT Message test was actually one of the commands in "Message test".

So, it appears it was a bit of a schoolboy error. Now I'm off to buy a tin of tartan paint and a pot of elbow grease!

Cheers for all the replies.

It's also a good idea to uncheck the 'Warning Messages' and 'Suggestions' check boxes in the 'Validation Options' menu item under the 'View' menu when activating scripts. Depending on your script, this can seriously slow the process down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back